• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gone nuts

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
So what initially was a sub $50 setup inc antenna ( 2 weeks ago ) has spiralled into a mess. Just ordered a Stryker 955 to couple with my Wilson 1000 magmount on truck roof. Without transmitting ill check as best as i can the 955 before removing the resistor. Ordered a 15w solder iron and tweezers, will probably practice on an old video card.
Any tips on what to check before invalidating warranty and so forth? Thanks

Ummm. That's a tough one. If you are not intimately familiar with soldering Surface Mount Technology, don't try to learn in the radio. As you said practice on an old card until you get results you would show your friends with pride.
If you are not a technician have you done this type of radio before?

Reactions: Robb
Ummm. That's a tough one. If you are not intimately familiar with soldering Surface Mount Technology, don't try to learn in the radio. As you said practice on an old card until you get results you would show your friends with pride.
If you are not a technician have you done this type of radio before?

Last time i owned a proper CB radio was in the early 1980s.
Was a Fidelity 3000 home base unit my neighbor mat gave me.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 9
So what initially was a sub $50 setup inc antenna ( 2 weeks ago ) has spiralled into a mess. Just ordered a Stryker 955 to couple with my Wilson 1000 magmount on truck roof. Without transmitting ill check as best as i can the 955 before removing the resistor. Ordered a 15w solder iron and tweezers, will probably practice on an old video card.
Any tips on what to check before invalidating warranty and so forth? Thanks
What is it exactly you're looking to do, and why? From what I've read the Stryker 955 works very nicely out of the box. Why not use it as you bought it? Good luck either way. 73

frequency expansion. if he was in the ham section he could use it out of box.
I should delete my response to this post. I must've been confusing it with something else I read. Sorry. I never thought going above Channel 40 was something I needed. That was before I added the vfo to my Madison. It now goes up to 27.995 at least. I can't tell you how many excellent qso's I've had on the "freebands"(SSB). I'd find it difficult to be stuck with 40 channels. Especially with the craziness that goes on at 27.385 LSb. If the band is open I always hope everyone who enjoys that scene stays there. I just start at 36 and skip 38 on my way up to God's land. IMO channel expansion is a must for SSB. I know it's illegal but so is j walking yet most do it. The best contacts and qso's I've ever had were between 27555 and 27.665. I don't blame him for wanting to do it. But If I were him I'd send it out. Why risk irrevocable damage on a brand new rig.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
in this case he needs it to go below channel 99.5.[/QUOTE
With so many of these on air it's easy to forget it is a "10 meter" radio. I actually did forget that it's not a CB. I've been very confused lately. Getting old and crusty. Well, not crusty but definitely old. Thanks for clearing thing's up for me.

My research merely concluded that on the 955 Stryker one has to remove one resistor to open up the frequency for it to work on cb band 11. Was repairing cathode ray television from the age of 13 , but they werent smt. Figure take my time with a fine tip 15w solder iron and tweezer.

if you've got soldering experience it won't be terrible. I've got a 79-290 that's smt and I was able to solder 2 regular sized resistors to it with a regular soldering iron for my first time on smt. I certainly wouldn't want to try swapping a processor that way though.

I bought one of these over a year ago and it works very well.
Some people think that the hot air gun is for heat shrink tubing. While it will do that it is used for removing components. The big ic's are heated up and a light lifting force is applied only when all of the solder is molten. Try to lift too son and the traces come up with it destroying the circuit board. Very few people have the ability to patch that up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in1-898D-...ESD-Nozzles-/131994595934?hash=item1ebb7db25e

Reactions: Limeybastard

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated