• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good Backup Radio 10 11 12 meters ?

EI52N7W

Jun 30, 2013
Ireland
Any advice on a good backup radio, Was looking at the optima mk3 and it seems to have got a lot of good thumbs up on forums, But i also see it is getting a few bad comments about it's AM modulation (some are saying it's crap) Could this just be that some suppliers are not tuning the sets right prior to dispatch ? It looks a good enough set for the money and reported to be giving 50w ssb,

Im also looking at the ranger 2950dx3 but it only pushes 25w ssb, can it be tuned to push more? I also noted it dont carry a cooling fan so maybe it could get too warm ,

Please correct me if im wrong,

Regards

Yes i see a few people refering to this , thanks for reply,
Anyone else using this radio can you tell me is the output wattage the same as what its supposed to be, ie 50w ssb a few posters have said that its not and a few people have said their are clones of this radio that are not as good as the original :confused:

How to know where to buy an original from ?
And also a supplier that can send the box tuned properly, Have been told that radiozing which is close to me cant tune the radios correctly or just dont tune them prior to dispatch

If your going to use it in the house and run ssb why bother with an export rig? Why not get a Icom 718, Kenwood 430s or 440 or something like that? I am just throwing out models that come to mind quickly but there are many to choose from. Now if you going mobile and AM then yes an Export would be your best bet.

Thanks, I thought they all need a tune ? From factory setting, I hear the mike needs chanding but would have no problem wit that

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.