• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

good first cb meter?

eagleeyes

Aug 14, 2013
Been doing research. Think I find a good meter to buy and then find lots of bad stuff said about them. Confused as hell which meter to buy so I can tune my radio myself so I dont fry or screw up anything with my amp that I have. what is a good swr/pep/etc meter to buy for the price that will last a long time? You can say do your research all you want but I have no idea what to get keep finding mixed info more bad than good.:confused: Hope this is the right area to post this. Still new to the forum. should i just save up and buy a bird 43? Which model bird and what to go with?

Last edited:

Bird, bird, bird, bird is the word!
Everyone knows about the bird!

Seriously, great question....they all seem like junk when you read about them online.

Reactions: eagleeyes
While Bird is the un-official standard for many, is it worth all the $$$?
I would say something like the Palstar PM-2000a or PM-2000am. Its a true peak reading cross needle meter where you don't need extra slugs as you grow in the hobby.

Is it good bet to go with that palstar. will that meter allow me to set dead keyfor a amplifier. Like 1.5 to 5watt dead key?

Last edited:
Go get a radio shack meter for $40, they work just fine. JMO. No need to spend big bucks on a meter if it's really not needed, although the lp100a is a heck of a meter IMO. But at 450 dollars I will stick with my radio shack meter a bit longer lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone very much. Looks like ill buy the radio shack meter being it fits the bill so I can have a decent meter for now instead of having to wait a long time to buy a expensive meter(y)

Reactions: Sideways
The Radio Shack meter really is pretty decent for the money. It's built pretty solid, too. Only real downside is that it isn't lighted, but you can do that yourself for a few bucks.

Brett

Well I bought the rat shack meter. First one was a dud the swr function didnt want to work. So I exchanged it for a different one. Guessing the first one was a exchange. But anyways, when im using the 20watt setting to set my dead key. Am I looking at the high or low part of the meter line? Why is there a high side and low side one line above the other?

Well I bought the rat shack meter. First one was a dud the swr function didnt want to work. So I exchanged it for a different one. Guessing the first one was a exchange. But anyways, when im using the 20watt setting to set my dead key. Am I looking at the high or low part of the meter line? Why is there a high side and low side one line above the other?

Both should be the same when you look at the needle, it's at an angle. Double bars are easier to see than single bars. 200=20 on the 20 setting, 200=200 on the 200 setting, and 200=2000 on the 2000 setting.

Brett

I like the Dosy meters for CB myself. Who can afford about $450.00 for a used Bird and a couple of slugs? I use a PD 1000 TS Dosy and it's within a few watts of a friend's Bird.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?