• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good New From Tommy 2 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TalkingTall

I received an Email from T2W lastnite and he told me he took his HAM Exam yesterday and aced it.
He got all 35 questions correct. I think we owe him a big:

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!

I know alot of you guys don't like him but there are those who do and the man has always treated me right in the past and still does. It took quite an effort, but he did it.
I thought I would pass this info on for all those who care.

o

I would like to extend congrats to him as well. It is a small achievement that makes one in small way appreciate the privileges he receives and even *may* allow him to even appreciate those who do not necessarily like illegal stuff WRT radio--IOW see the other side of the coin and why "those hammies" sometimes get upset when they find bandits on the ham bands. :D I am truly glad for him! I would tell him myself on the other board, but I got BANNED, and the funny thing is, I got banned for answering an innocent question about technical stuff--had nothing to DO with illegal/illegal, ham vs CB :shock: :p I never understood that. :D Doesn't matter, tho. It's all good!

CWM

Re: o

C W Morse said:
I would like to extend congrats to him as well. It is a small achievement that makes one in small way appreciate the privileges he receives and even *may* allow him to even appreciate those who do not necessarily like illegal stuff WRT radio--IOW see the other side of the coin and why "those hammies" sometimes get upset when they find bandits on the ham bands. :D I am truly glad for him! I would tell him myself on the other board, but I got BANNED, and the funny thing is, I got banned for answering an innocent question about technical stuff--had nothing to DO with illegal/illegal, ham vs CB :shock: :p I never understood that. :D Doesn't matter, tho. It's all good!

CWM

THERE IS NO OTHER BOARD ANYMORE. IF YOU SEER HIM
THERE YOU ARE LOOKING AT A GHOST. ANYHOOOO

WHERE OH WHERE DID THE VILLAGE IDIOT RUN OFF TO?
THERE WAS ANOTHER TOPIC HE JUMPED ON OUR THEN
PROSPECTIVE HAM. "T2W WILL NEVER BECOME A HAM!"
ANYHEW
PERFECT SCORE,, CONGRATS! WHERE IS GE ANYWAY?

I do recall T2W saying he would never...but you know how that goes. 35 questions is the General, right. Salute Generals and bow to Extras.

Maybe somebody can help me understand something here ? IM not sure what passing this test gives you in the rights of the Ham Bands ? I do understand there are more then one tests to take ? I hear guys around these parts on CB who complain that it is so dead on the freq's that they are allowed to use on the ham bands after passing a single test that they end up back on cb to do more talking with others all the same ?

S&K the first test you take is the Tech exam. It gives you everything above 30 MHz. That is 6m, 2m, 1.25m, 70cm, 23cm, etc...

The second test you take is either the General exam or Code. Passing General gives you nothing until you pass code.

If you pass Code as a Tech, you also get limited phone and CW bandwidth on 10m, and you get limited CW only on 15m, 40m, and 80m.

If you pass General and code, you get most of all allowable modes on 160m up through 23cm, etc...

If you then pass the Extra, you get a little extra bandwith on several of the lower bands, like 80m to 15m.

You have to pass Tech first before you can get anything though, and passing another exam just gives you more bandwidth.

Naturally, VHF and UHF (Tech privelages) might not have a lot of action because it is short range (no skip). There may be more on a repeater network, however, but I find there is not as much activity as there is on CB when skip is rolling. 6m can have some skip, but it is less common.

The issue there is finding or making your own company. You have to work at it, bring friends into it and make the band what you want, or find new friends on there.

The HF ham bands have more skip than even 11 meters, and can be quite busy at times. But it is still kind of the same story...the spectrum is broad and it is not open season like on CB. There are not millions of users crowded into a 40 channel, 1/2 MHz spectrum. There are merely hundreds of thousands spread thinly over a many many MHz spectrum.

Thank you C2 for the discription of it all ....that says a lot. Really doesn't look I'll be taken a test to soon .....but maybe in the future if I live that long and have the dough to buy me a mojo radio. Sounds like less of a challenge then cb radio ? ..meaning repeaters bouncing off whatever they bounce off of (sattlelights ?)....pretty cool though that you can talk off small antenna's ,lots of watts,great radio equipment ,all legal like (-: I used to listen to ham radio stations off a scanner every now and then ....car to car, base to base,ect ect .....kind of boring, but that's understandable I suppose,I guess if I ain't talk'in ,it's just not the same. Could they or have they ever done a cb radio type repeater or is it even possible ? ....thanks again

Switch Kit said:
Thank you C2 for the discription of it I suppose,I guess if I ain't talk'in ,it's just not the same. Could they or have they ever done a cb radio type repeater or is it even possible ? ....thanks again

The closest thing to a "CB" repeater would be the 10 Meter FM repeaters on 29 MHZ. They will, indeed, cover thousands of miles. On the other hand, the HF bands (1.8-29 MHZ) generally will provide worldwide coverage anyway. The trick is to know how to USE these characteristics to the best advantage and how to recognize the limitations such as atmospheric conditions and what is known as "MUF"---Maximum Usable Frequency. One simple way to know which frequency is likely to be "running" is to simply listen to WWWV on 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHZ.

One of the differences in CB and Amateur is learning not just how to talk, talk, talk, but learning how to maximize one's experiences in radio. With "ONE" band such as 27 MHZ, you only SEE one aspect of radio and only the behavior of THAT one band, it's occupants' habits and operations, and the ONE mode of transmitting. With Amateur Radio, you see and hear the behavior of MANY bands, learn a wider range of its occupants' habits and behaviors (because it is much affected by the wider range of bands, etc), and a multitude of transmitting modes such as AM, FM, SSB (upper and lower). Morse, RTTY, (teletype), Pactor, Slow Scan TV, and others not even foreseen yet.

Amateur Radio is a mini-education in itself! Certainly, it carries no 'degree', and likely not a lot of recognition. But it DOES give a certain satisfaction because learning about radio, frequencies, propagation, electronics, antennas brings
its own personal rewards. Today, a friend came into another friend's place with an Icom radio. It wouldn't come on. He had checked the thing out for voltage, checked the switch itself,
checked continuity--all to no avail. It meant that the radio would likely have to be sent back to an Icom service center. I had this problem previously and I suggested that it might be an internal fuse. Took the radio apart and VOILA! Fuse had blown.
Replaced fuse, closed up, turned on. Radio works! Like CBers, hams help each other. Experiences with equipment are built upon and passed on. I happened to remember this feature on ham radios and was able to save my friend some $$.

So seriously investigate the Amateur ticket. Don't just take the test with the intention being only to "talk". Use the Technician ticket as a stepping stone to learning more and more. Begin with the repeaters, experiment with SSB, play with Echolink (computer generated "radio" that provides voice
contact all over the world). Then take the Morse Code test--don't wait. It is not that hard. Expand into HF and learn how it behaves. Make worldwide contacts--some of which originate in places you will never hear a CB. ( not bragging, but have you ever talked to Israel or Spain on your CB? How about South Africa?) Build a library of reference material on "HOW TO" such as build your own antennas. Good fun and satisfaction in being able to say, instead of buying one, "Hey! I MADE it and it WORKS". Learn by failing, learn by succeeding. Only by beginning this "journey" that is Amateur Radio, can you really understand its advantages and gain an "education" that is unique and a heck of a lot of fun! :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.