• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good Older Amp for a Galaxy 95t2

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
Just like the title says ... what would be a quality older amp that can be mated with my 95t2. Just kicking the idea around. Thanks

Attachments

• 95t2.jpg
    95t2.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: AudioShockwav

Just like the title says ... what would be a quality older amp that can be mated with my 95t2. Just kicking the idea around. Thanks
Mobile?
It's going to be a bit tough to find a "vintage" solid state amp that will take that drive, most of them were ment for old cb's that struggled to make 16-18 watts peak.
And I hate to suggest you could put a on-off switch on the internal amp because it only takes one time to forget to turn it off and you let all the smoke out.
$$$ to fix that mistake.
A older 8 pill with no driver section will take some drive, but even that could be hurt if you don't roll the power back.
And vintage means old transistors that are unobtanium now.

If you run a vintage radio with less drive it would be better.

Jeff

You could always get in touch with Karl Built on facebook. Back when he owned X-Force he made several amps that would run fine with that radio. I'm sure he still can.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
You could always get in touch with Karl Built on facebook. Back when he owned X-Force he made several amps that would run fine with that radio. I'm sure he still can.
Sure, but he said older.
In the past 70cst has looked for older more vintage equipment that matches his square body.
Carl can easily build something that will take that drive, but it's not going to look like a , say a TNT Twelve Pack that would be more correct for a vintage era.
However the TnT already has a driver section.

Jeff

I guess for me "older amp" falls into the late 1990's to early 2000's category. I was really thinking a class B Magna Force from X-Force would be great. They made a straight 6 pill that was a beast. Pictured below is a Magna Force 200 I had. Since Karl built them i'm sure he could still do it now.

Years later X-Force changed these to black and called them a TnT (not the same as the TNT amps from the 80's) They were still class B and performed like a good comp style amp should.

As an update I found this on e-bay, which should be the new version of what I was referring to.

Attachments

• group 1 019.jpg
    group 1 019.jpg
    832 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I guess for me "older amp" falls into the late 1990's to early 2000's category. I was really thinking a class B Magna Force from X-Force would be great. They made a straight 6 pill that was a beast. Pictured below is a Magna Force 200 I had. Since Karl built them i'm sure he could still do it now.

Years later X-Force changed these to black and called them a TnT (not the same as the TNT amps from the 80's) They were still class B and performed like a good comp style amp should.

As an update I found this on e-bay, which should be the new version of what I was referring to.
Thanks

Hmmm. Mobile linears are nearly always "hot rods". Getting all the wattage you can without regard to reliability is how most of them are built. Naturally, linear makers are only responding to market forces, the buyer's preferences. Just one problem. The more "Watts per dollar", the fewer "keys between kabooms". But that's what people want. More. So that's what the linear builders will deliver. Never mind how long it lasts.

Reminds me of a guy looking for a 1970s muscle car that hasn't been abused or wrecked. Eventually there aren't any. But every year that passes, there are fewer.

An "older" mobile linear that big that was never gouged or pushed beyond its limits will be a rare bird indeed.

Hmmm. Mobile linears are nearly always "hot rods". Getting all the wattage you can without regard to reliability is how most of them are built. Naturally, linear makers are only responding to market forces, the buyer's preferences. Just one problem. The more "Watts per dollar", the fewer "keys between kabooms". But that's what people want. More. So that's what the linear builders will deliver. Never mind how long it lasts.

Reminds me of a guy looking for a 1970s muscle car that hasn't been abused or wrecked. Eventually there aren't any. But every year that passes, there are fewer.

An "older" mobile linear that big that was never gouged or pushed beyond its limits will be a rare bird indeed.

This is why I have a long chassis sweet sixteen that I drive only with a 2950DX or Galaxy Pluto. The extra power I'd get from driving it harder than that would never be noticed and it will last me forever. I have a 667 that I have beat to within an inch of its life and it hasn't failed me yet, but that's also why I got the sweet sixteen. I don't want it to die.

So would something like a MAGNA FORCE 400 work with the 95T?

MAGNA FORCE 400 4x2290, Class B bias, switchable ssb delay, fan cooled. Max amp draw 60a, install recommended with 8ga wire and 60a fuse. Max input carrier of 5w or 150w max carrier from amp. Max peak input 100w.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.