• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gray 200

357magnum

Feb 25, 2014
Coventry RI
My Gray 200 solid state base amp states 4 watt input on the back I have been running 2 watts into but lately I think Its been acting different . I cut my modulation back an thought I solved it but its seems every time someone local hears me they say I,m breaking up . If I talk DX I get nothing but good comments . My old base did not have adjustable out put an seem to be fine . Do you think I'm under driving it ? Please note its the same person telling me radio is not right . I think it might be on his end .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

You didn't give anyone nearly enough information to tell if the person giving you the bad signal report is correct.

Are you watching your output on a watt meter?

What kind of dead key / PEP output are you seeing out of the amplifier?

What is the dead key and PEP output of the radio going into the amp?

What is the SWR on your antenna?

Have you checked the SWR between the radio and the amp?

Could be bad jumper, antenna coax connector, flaky relay in the amp, improper amp drive, who knows. Isn't radio fun?

Sorry I have to re-check dead key where I have it set swr is almost flat an it swings to 300 during modulation on ssb but I cut the mic way back to keep @ 100 ℅ because that was one of my issues . Just seems funny every Sunday morning this same guy has his comments but New Zealand tells be its fine an so does 305 portable who is on this forum . Yes radio is funny but some operators are funny too ! Starting to think so about this guy . An this nothing worse than someone putting that bug in your ear about your station . PS just changed all my patch cords to good quality ones . Thanks for your input .

most times this is a case of someone trying to control how their receive sounds by trying to control your transmit.

maybe he doesnt like how your radio sounds in his radio, so he's trying to get you to change your settings to his liking.

been through that many times over the years. nowadays i get in the mobile, have the wife or a friend key up the radio and talk to me while im on my way somewhere, and call it good.

if anyone i dont know personally asks me to change any settings on my radio, i tell them that i dont have that control, and that my radio only has a volume, a squelch, and an RF gain. then i tell them that im sure their radio has these same controls, and if they adjust them, im sure they will like the way i sound.
LC

Reactions: 1 person
if the guy who is telling you it sounds bad is too close to you you could be over driving him as Loose Cannon basically was telling you. if you are putting out 300 watts as you are saying he may need to turn his rf gain down on his end to receive you with out distortion. a few years ago I ran a cobra 148 and a tx500v amp and a guy about 5 miles from me would complain he could not understand me and guys 20 miles away said I sound just fine. had my wife drive my vehicle away from us and it sounded just fine on my base radio. it was just the one guy complaining about how I sounded. he changed his radio to a uniden grant LT and stated one day I must have done something to my radio because I now sounded just fine. it was his receive radio he was using before. so this goes right along with LC. never know until you check it out your self.

You guys hit the nail on the head every time I talk to this guy he's telling me to adjust my d104 ( which he hates ) adjust my mic gain , do this do that he is less than 10 miles away . I'm going to chalk this up to he knows more than me after I been doing this over 40 years my meters all check out , besides I don't do much local anyways . But just for pay back I told him later on in the day while he was talking skip his radio was breaking up . It wasn't just figured I'd let him pull his station apart looking for the problem . Yeah I know I'm a bad person ! lol

You guys hit the nail on the head every time I talk to this guy he's telling me to adjust my d104 ( which he hates ) adjust my mic gain , do this do that he is less than 10 miles away . I'm going to chalk this up to he knows more than me after I been doing this over 40 years my meters all check out , besides I don't do much local anyways . But just for pay back I told him later on in the day while he was talking skip his radio was breaking up . It wasn't just figured I'd let him pull his station apart looking for the problem . Yeah I know I'm a bad person ! lol

Never rely on someone else for a radio check, we all have different likes and dislikes. I have my wife get on the base and I take the mobile out for a spin to hear it for myself.
Most people think Motor Mouth Maul's radio sounds great but I sure don't....but that is just my opinion.

Reactions: 2 people
I have had the same issue with locals as well. Like posted if someone is that close they are probably getting banged by your signal or maybe he is just jealous, that's what it's sound like to me, bit of jealousy!! I am lucky to have some straight shooters around me that tell it like it is. Never had one tell me I sound bad, but they let me know if they hear something wrong. If all your meters are working correctly and you are making contacts, then don't fret too much about it. Sounds like someone close to you is jealous!! JMO. God bless and 73's.

Never rely on someone else for a radio check, we all have different likes and dislikes. I have my wife get on the base and I take the mobile out for a spin to hear it for myself.
Most people think Motor Mouth Maul's radio sounds great but I sure don't....but that is just my opinion.

I thought I was the only one ...

Your right most is jealousy I think , the other local guy that gives me His Input drifts off freq. so much I got tired of chasing him around an finally told him keep his screw driver out of his radio an take it to someone who knows what they are doing ! I kind of base it after your multiple inputs that just they are just way to close to give me a radio check as they always catch me shooting DX an running power . I was checking my SWR the other day An Saying " Test Test " after I was done while watching my meter a guy sitting in his truck told me he was in his truck in Alabama an said I had the best 2000 He ever heard when you hear that it makes you feel a little better . lol Thanks Guys !

i agree with whats been posted. but to add if ya on ssb and ya cut back your
MIC GAIN on radio too low it wont drive your amp properly.i anit gonna tell
ya how to run ya stuff but i always just crack open the d104 [so the line is straight up]
starting at its lowest position. then [if nessary] turn down mi gain on radio . but hardly ever need to.

Thanks hotrod that's just where my silver eagle is set an adjust it with the mic gain , to low into amp nothing too high ... well those old relays just don't like it ! I was talking to 559 in the stock an 3 people came in from the UK an said I was blowing smoke over there so I don't think there is any problem on my end . It just took me a little bit to figure this radio out ! Thanks again everyone .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.