• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grayhound movie handset flaw

sunbulls

Apr 25, 2017
While watching Tom Hanks new movie Grayhound, my eyes kept focusing on this handset connection. It looked like this tangled cord even had one of the wires broken off. This was seen at the beginning of the movie before going into battle. I kept thinking this would never pass inspection. LOL At some point this must have been brought to the director’s attention, because I see someone fixed that problem near the end of the movie.

The handset is a US NAVY RCA Sound Powered Ship Phone MI-2040-A. They were made in Camden, New Jersey during WWII. They made both straight cord and coiled cord versions. You will find the straight cord version in the surplus and used markets more often. The rings holding the cartridges and cups in place on this handset are normally blackened. This ship is in a museum, so the constant handling and cleaning of this handset no doubt wore some off. The ship used in this movie is actually the USS Kidd, a decommissioned WWII-era Fletcher. This ship can be toured along with other militaria at a museum in Baton Rouge, LA.
Grayhound movie telephone flaw.jpg

While watching Tom Hanks new movie Grayhound, my eyes kept focusing on this handset connection. It looked like this tangled cord even had one of the wires broken off. This was seen at the beginning of the movie before going into battle. I kept thinking this would never pass inspection. LOL At some point this must have been brought to the director’s attention, because I see someone fixed that problem near the end of the movie.

The handset is a US NAVY RCA Sound Powered Ship Phone MI-2040-A. They were made in Camden, New Jersey during WWII. They made both straight cord and coiled cord versions. You will find the straight cord version in the surplus and used markets more often. The rings holding the cartridges and cups in place on this handset are normally blackened. This ship is in a museum, so the constant handling and cleaning of this handset no doubt wore some off. The ship used in this movie is actually the USS Kidd, a decommissioned WWII-era Fletcher. This ship can be toured along with other militaria at a museum in Baton Rouge, LA.
View attachment 38841
Hahaha, coincidentally I am watching it now. I'll have to go back and verify your findings

Reactions: Slowmover
A coiled cord?

In WW2?

Don't think so. Pretty sure you need vinyl plastic to make a coil cord. And vinyl plastics are mostly a "post-war" invention.

Actually the very first coiled cords used a thin rubber. They would eventually crack and rot. The coiled telephone cord was invented in 1937 actually.

These are just a few variations of this handset. I believe the first one is historically correct for a Navy ship of that time period. Other examples are typically seen with various field phone type applications. Strain relief springs coupled with a different adapter are yet another adaptation as seen in the second photo.
Handset variations.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated