• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grey 200 base amp

Guys.
This is for everyone in general.
This is the internet.
Hundreds of people are here everyday and not everyone is going to agree on every point.
We all got different experinces and we all got our own opinions.
If you want I can go through this thread and slash and hack it up and remove all the personal jabs.
We should be able to post and express ourselfs with some restraint.
Sometimes you just got to take a deep breath before you hit the post reply button.

Now, back on the real topic of amplifiers.
This debate has been going on for years with no end in sight yet.
Guys have been running amps with no bias for years on the CB band using SSB.
It will work, but there are issues with it.
Yes it has to do with transistor cutoff and distortion and it might not be noticeable to the casual user.
There is a reason that even guys like Carl, that started with building custom comp style amps now offer to add bias to there builds.
I used to like the old TNT amps (not x force, older than that) but they were not biased and always sounded crunchy on SSB to me and my friends that used mostly side band.

My little brother could tell me what amp I was using within a few words because he knew the sound the unbiased made.
And what Chris posted about the unregulated power supply is correct.
He has been around this stuff longer than some members have been alive, so I got to give him some props for experience.
I talk about the X Force 400-12 biased base amp I had.
In the end I pulled the power supply out of it because there was just to many problems associated with running it unregulated.
Even with bias.
Hey
If you have been running one for 20 years plus, that's great.
You got one that all the pieces fell in the right place and worked good together.
My CPI version did not for my use.
And the original poster was asking about how to add bias to his amp.
Chris pointed out that it most likely will not solve the problem.
Jeff

Reactions: 357magnum
Pretty much most amps made will sound like doggie poo on ssb . However my superstar 500 base actually is very clean on ssb along with every Texas Star I've owned. I had a boomer 400 once that also was clean on ssb. These other cheap pos amps were made for the am swing market.

Guys.
This is for everyone in general.
This is the internet.
Hundreds of people are here everyday and not everyone is going to agree on every point.
We all got different experinces and we all got our own opinions.
If you want I can go through this thread and slash and hack it up and remove all the personal jabs.
We should be able to post and express ourselfs with some restraint.
Sometimes you just got to take a deep breath before you hit the post reply button.

Now, back on the real topic of amplifiers.
This debate has been going on for years with no end in sight yet.
Guys have been running amps with no bias for years on the CB band using SSB.
It will work, but there are issues with it.
Yes it has to do with transistor cutoff and distortion and it might not be noticeable to the casual user.
There is a reason that even guys like Carl, that started with building custom comp style amps now offer to add bias to there builds.
I used to like the old TNT amps (not x force, older than that) but they were not biased and always sounded crunchy on SSB to me and my friends that used mostly side band.

My little brother could tell me what amp I was using within a few words because he knew the sound the unbiased made.
And what Chris posted about the unregulated power supply is correct.
He has been around this stuff longer than some members have been alive, so I got to give him some props for experience.
I talk about the X Force 400-12 biased base amp I had.
In the end I pulled the power supply out of it because there was just to many problems associated with running it unregulated.
Even with bias.
Hey
If you have been running one for 20 years plus, that's great.
You got one that all the pieces fell in the right place and worked good together.
My CPI version did not for my use.
And the original poster was asking about how to add bias to his amp.
Chris pointed out that it most likely will not solve the problem.
Jeff
I think many of the guys on here are the engineer/techie type that's not used to the average joe cb six pack coming on here asking questions. It's called being socially inept.

Reactions: Tokin
Not one bit socially inept. I was referring to most of the tech/engineer/ hammy types
Are you sure about that? I have not encountered any snobbery on this board except from CBer's that do not know any better. It's all magic you know. If you do not have three pecans in your pocket you'll never talk to Texas.

Reactions: Dmans
GROL, Radar endorsement
Millwright, I eat unaware engineers for lunch, after eating their lunch for breakfast.
hammy types
AF7XT 30 MAR 2016 , VE, look it up. Prior to 2016 I was active in the radio and telecommunications field by employment or curiosity for 40 years.

I do not know it all, I hope I never will. I would rather have questions without answers than answers I can not question.

I have repeatedly asked ownership, administration, and moderation to allow you continued participation in these forums. If nothing else you provide a unique service in creating a peculiar unity among other members. If not for the oblique reminder that we are family here then for the seemingly unending source of humor your misguided ego provides.

Now, where were we.

A linear device is simply defined by 1 in 10 out , 2 in 20 out, 3 in 30 out ad nausea. The numbers may vary but essentially the resulting graph is a straight line. Very few devices , singly or in pairs achieve this without endless experimentation and modification. The best we can do is the best we can do with the time , tools, talent, and available parts.

In the end it's a version of Zeno's paradox. We can approach a semblance of adequacy but not perfection. Don't let it stop you though. In this day and age RF design is defined by the smallest of gains in linearity and efficiency.

And @Staybolt , don't ever change. You provide a necessary and useful function here....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
I'm gonna try that.

Excuse me? So what makes you better than I am?
My sense of humor, my superior knowledge, My Genetics, and my unfailing dedication to help people that deserve it. Also tons of experience in dealing pipsqueaks that think they are all that and a bag of chips. And I don't whine..

Actually I never said or inferred that I was better than you. Just better trained. In the NAVY we often refer to each other as anchors.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated