• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grey 200 base amp

That particular amplifier has a big issue when it comes to sideband.

I'm not talking about the lack if "idle current" bias. Yeah, that's why it makes sideband sound like dirt.

But once you install a bias circuit, the other problems emerge.

The power supply is not regulated. It puts over 20 Volts on the RF transistors in standby. The power supply is just too small, and the voltage will drop to a safer 12 to 14 Volts under load while it's keyed.

But an unregulated amplifier still tends to sound bad on sideband, with or without bias.

You will also discover that the amplifier wants to become unstable and oscillate. Might not run away and hold itself keyed up after you unkey the mike.

Might.

But an oscillation that only happens on the upper half of your voice waveform will still ruin the audio quality at the other end.

Adding negative feedback and removing Billy's gimmick capacitor on the relay wiring will probably take care of that issue.

But once you do that, the input impedance will usually change in a big way, and at the very least you'll have to change the value of the silver mica cap that's wired across the primary of the input transformer. And possibly also the 330pf silver-mica cap across the input secondary.

They say the transistors used to build these were hand-selected for low leakage currents at 20 Volts. Parts that would likely break down from excess leakage current got sidelined to put into mobile linears.

Don't know how many parts out of a hundred flunked this test and how many passed.

We learned to install an automotive "ice cube" Bosch-type relay between the main power and the DC input to the RF transistors. It would key with the antenna relay, and turn on the collector supply only when there was drive power. So long as you drove it with an AM carrier, this would pull down the supply voltage while loaded down from making RF power. And the high unregulated voltage would be switched off from the RF transistors in receive mode. This allows the use of replacement transistors that haven't been selected to resist breakdown from a 20-Volt supply. Random replacement transistors tend to blow out in this model. Frequently at the moment you unkey.

But hey, it's a Gray. The only way to spell "project" with four letters.

I'll keep it to the point & leave this " Pissing " thing alone . :whistle: Ralph is a good friend of mine , he bought his Gray because I have one of these old girls & love mine ( No Meter on mine ) Amp reads 4w Max on the back , I can ( but don't ) do that . I drive w/ 1-2 w . SSB does not like to be over driven , Modulation is a big factor w/ these amps also , I need to cut mine way back on SSB . Also w / mine anyway it does not like the High stage or Max it chatters the relays . But I don't need it on SSB if I use it @ all . But on AM it works fine all stages , also drove mine w/ 4w for years NP , then one day " Poof " I had to send it to a forum member for repair ! :whistle: Just my 2 cents . 73 , Leo

Reactions: RT431 and 2NC995
Also Nomad is right ! Beware of that PS ! 20.2 volts here ! I had a power supply added to mine ( Gatekeeper has a vid ) I put a volt meter on mine to keep track of it ! Actually told Ralph to get one for his & do the same 2 days ago . But I was lucky enough to get over 25 years out of mine before it went " Poof " & mine was use when I got it . :) 73 , Leo

Reactions: 2NC995
My 2¢.
Someone who doesnt want to do anything but 20 minute or less repairs and tune ups isnt much of a "tech", thats a cherry picker. I'd be looking for a real tech who is service minded with the skills, tools and the willingness to diagnose and repair larger issues. I know its getting tougher to find those folks but they do exist. You just have to do your homework and maybe drive a couple hundred miles. I got lucky and my local truckstop cherry picker turned me on to a great tech about 70 miles from me because he doesnt like to work on base radios, mobiles only lol.

Staybolt,
the answer to your question is yes.

check it out here: https://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Bias/Bias_Circuits_for_RF_Devices.pdf

i would try to offer more specifics, but i don't want to draw the ire of someone who more often than not, ends up in some sort of confrontation when they ask for help.
you might want to check yourself bro.
LC
I checked myself and I'm fine. Yiu are the one that needs a checkup. You are the biggest dick head in here. Rude ass.

You got some great feedback in this thread, but now people will really scramble to help you.
I scrambled some eggs for my mama kitty today.
Message_1583625444800.jpg

My 2¢.
Someone who doesnt want to do anything but 20 minute or less repairs and tune ups isnt much of a "tech", thats a cherry picker. I'd be looking for a real tech who is service minded with the skills, tools and the willingness to diagnose and repair larger issues. I know its getting tougher to find those folks but they do exist. You just have to do your homework and maybe drive a couple hundred miles. I got lucky and my local truckstop cherry picker turned me on to a great tech about 70 miles from me because he doesnt like to work on base radios, mobiles only lol.
Hes very fussy and it gets old. If I have to I'll ship it off.
You got some great feedback in this thread, but now people will really scramble to help you.
I just call the asshats out when they insult me.. hes had issues with me for a long time.

Reactions: 357magnum and Tokin
Can we just get back on the Amp Topic?

I had a very similar amp to this, but it was not a gray(grey)
CMI was the brand.
Same problem, unregulated power supply.
It was ok on AM, but sounded like crud on SSB.
Traded it to a guy that only ran AM and he was happy with it.

Jeff

My Gray , Low / Medium , always good reports . Maybe Ralph & I have good ones ? Not sure on my buddy Ralph , like said I abused mine over 25 years NP's .:) As far as this thread goes ..... Might as well " Shut it Down " ! It's not really going anywhere except for insulting some well known/respected members ! If I said what I wanted to say Capt would shut it down for sure ! Been here to long and love/respect this forum soooo .... Ol' Magnum is QRT , 10-8 Or Back Quiet ! 73 & God Bless , Leo

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.