• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground Plane Kit Question

Jul 16, 2008
Gloucester City, NJ
Please, do not turn this into a "does the GPK work or not" thread. It's not intended for that. It more of a question of which GPK might yield better results.

I currently have an I-Max antenna mounted on a 20' mast that runs up the side of the house from the ground. The base of the antenna clears the peak of the roof by ~5-feet.

From what I've read, there are the following GPK's available.

-- I-Max GPK.
-- Antron-99 GPK.
-- Maco Boomer GPK.

I believe the 1st two are fiberglass to match the antenna and the third is aluminum. The 1st two angle down by some degree and the third are straight elements that extend horizontally.

Based on the antenna that I have and the laws of how ground planes work, which of these may have the best chance of performing when installed?

Please, do not turn this into a "does the GPK work or not" thread. It's not intended for that. It more of a question of which GPK might yield better results.

I currently have an I-Max antenna mounted on a 20' mast that runs up the side of the house from the ground. The base of the antenna clears the peak of the roof by ~5-feet.

From what I've read, there are the following GPK's available.

-- I-Max GPK.
-- Antron-99 GPK.
-- Maco Boomer GPK.

I believe the 1st two are fiberglass to match the antenna and the third is aluminum. The 1st two angle down by some degree and the third are straight elements that extend horizontally.

Based on the antenna that I have and the laws of how ground planes work, which of these may have the best chance of performing when installed?[/quote]
The one designed for the antenna in question I do believe, and yes it will work better than not having one.

In order to use either the A99 or Maco GPK with the Imax you would have to modify them do to the way they mount. The GPK designed for the Imax would be (and was) my choice. (y)

you could run three 1/4 wave wires at 45 degrees and have get better performance because they are proper size and put the money for the kit to some other purpose .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.