• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grounding: Crossing Exterior Architectural Features

ONAWHIM

Jan 12, 2011
Southeastern CT on L.I. Sound
Question,
What are the methods and concerns when crossing eaves, gutters, other stuff, when planting your ground wire from antenna/tower to ground rod?

Background, as you can see in this pic I have placed standoffs just outside my attic window. Any path that I choose to get to ground level crosses eaves, gutters, etc.

The first part of the answer gets me to ground level below the antenna. To bond with the electric service ground rod I need to go around to the right just below where the service attaches to the house (you can just make out the service connection in the bottom right of the pic).

Wm.

Attachments

• Resized 78.jpg
    Resized 78.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Resized 76.jpg
    Resized 76.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Could you get the wire inside the pipe coming down the middle?

That downspout is actually PVC, the H/C contractor did that to hide the split system air conditioning lines, copper. No water draining.

The outboard downs are metal and for water runoff.

Based on your suggestion, would it be OK to run the ground down through the PVC one with the copper lines (doesn't sound good) or in the real aluminum downspout?

Isn't the propane tank a concern?

Wm.

Wm.

That downspout is actually PVC, the H/C contractor did that to hide the split system air conditioning lines, copper. No water draining.

The outboard downs are metal and for water runoff.

Based on your suggestion, would it be OK to run the ground down through the PVC one with the copper lines (doesn't sound good) or in the real aluminum downspout?

Nope, don't run it with the copper lines or in the downspout. You could loop it over the gutter if it is aluminum also. If you take a direct hit, its going to arc over anyway. Run the wire, at least #4 or #6 down beside that PVC.

Isn't the propane tank a concern?
Yes, a huge concern. If you can run the wire at slight curve from where the PVC ends near the top of the exterior of your fireplace enclosure and then down to the service ground that would give you some clearance from the propane tank.

Also a little primer on grounding from QRZ may provide you with more information than you want but is prudent reading none the less. Check out these three threads. They are very concise and eye opening.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?335582-Grounding-Do-s-Don-ts-amp-Why-Part-1
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?335740-Grounding-Do-s-Don-ts-amp-Why-Part-2
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?338689-Grounding-Do-s-Don-ts-amp-Why-Part-3

Wayne C.

Last edited:

Wayne,
Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

What I am trying to understand is the method of crossing gutters, etc.

Do I loop the copper ground over without touching? Does that matter when the event occurs?

Will touching the metal gutter or other change the base properties of the ground?

Better to ask those that know than to guess about it.
my reading continues...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.