• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grounding question - ground to metal in concrete?

At my last house I had driven my ground rod just outside my radio room for grounding purposes so it was nearby.

Moved into a different house and was looking at where to drive a new ground rod (once I go to store and buy it) and when I was outside I noticed that there are some metal form ties sticking out of the concrete about 1foot above ground level outside right near where I'm setting up inside.

Wondering if you can ground to a metal rod sticking out of concrete house foundation as I feel like somewhere I remember someone grounding to rebar encased in concrete?

Just thought - boy that's a lot easier than buying a ground rod and driving it into the ground :) Guessing it may not be as effective but figured I'd ask.
I dunno. Chances are that if your station got hit by lightning with the re bar used as ground rods; then the moisture in the concrete would expand and turn to steam at a rapid rate and either crack it everywhere - or explode if there is enough water in it. Dunno. When trees get struck by lightning, they explode from the same cause.

Ground rods are used to direct current into the ground to form the least path of resistance. More parallel rods? Less resistance to flow. Ever have anything you had hit with lightning before? The current just wants to get home with nothing to impede it. Anything that impedes it - pays a price. Several hundred thousand amps of pulsed current is a lot.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Brings up a "tanget" on this ...

IF Rebar is used within concrete, can it become RF counterpoise - or affect ground reflectivity of RF for the purposes of making an antenna more efficient at being a radiator?

Not Ground as in Earth, but Ground for Counterpoise for the antenna - as in surface area?

Reactions: Redbeard U812
At my last house I had driven my ground rod just outside my radio room for grounding purposes so it was nearby.

Moved into a different house and was looking at where to drive a new ground rod (once I go to store and buy it) and when I was outside I noticed that there are some metal form ties sticking out of the concrete about 1foot above ground level outside right near where I'm setting up inside.

Wondering if you can ground to a metal rod sticking out of concrete house foundation as I feel like somewhere I remember someone grounding to rebar encased in concrete?

Just thought - boy that's a lot easier than buying a ground rod and driving it into the ground :) Guessing it may not be as effective but figured I'd ask.

Oh HE%* no …….
You may get some kind of ground, but if you ever have a major electrical surge (lightning), it would probably blow the concrete apart ….

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.