• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

grounding rod question

John L.

Jun 29, 2020
North Ga.
I installed the ground rod for my shack but was only able to drive it in about 3.5 ft. before I hit rock.
Do you think this will be enough? The ground should stay moist enough and I really don't have another place to move it to.

Drive it in on a 45 degree angle to get more contact with the earth. Use several spaced apart and bond them all together. I have the same problem here. The deepest I could drive one of mine was somewhere between 6 and 7 feet but I had to use a 5/8 inch galvanized steel rod which I ground to a good point and used a 10 pound sledge hammer to drive it in. I hit slate less than 3 feet deep. It was soft on top so I kept driving the rod. You could feel the ground vibrate when I hit the rod which meant I had gone as far as it was ever going to go. I used one rod for each tower leg and several more along the trench where the feedlines run as well as the main ground cable to the house ground. Those were between 3 and5 feet deep. The more the merrier when depth is not an option.

Reactions: unit_399
Drive it in on a 45 degree angle to get more contact with the earth. Use several spaced apart and bond them all together. I have the same problem here. The deepest I could drive one of mine was somewhere between 6 and 7 feet but I had to use a 5/8 inch galvanized steel rod which I ground to a good point and used a 10 pound sledge hammer to drive it in. I hit slate less than 3 feet deep. It was soft on top so I kept driving the rod. You could feel the ground vibrate when I hit the rod which meant I had gone as far as it was ever going to go. I used one rod for each tower leg and several more along the trench where the feedlines run as well as the main ground cable to the house ground. Those were between 3 and5 feet deep. The more the merrier when depth is not an option.
That sounds like a good option to me, thanks for that idea.

Installing at a limit of 45 degrees is typical when encountering rock.

But with only 3.5 feet to work with, you still ain’t gonna get it all in the ground.

Next alternative is a 30” deep trench with the entire rod buried at that depth.

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
Figure-5-250.53G-2017-NEC.jpg

Just pull it and move it a bit. If you have a basement you are driving the road in to backfill material. There should be nothing huge in there.

Funny this thread would be made and I see it first right after I bought a 6' galvanized steel ground rod and plan to pound it down.

One method I read about is to push the rod down as far as you can, pull it back up and add water to the hole, repeat, up until the point where you can no longer press down by hand, then do the same with a hammer.

Supposedly you can work the entire rod in easily that way and I sure hope so because I don't even have a sledge hammer right now, just your average hammer.

Worst case I end up hitting rock, or can only get it so far down and have to wait on borrowing a sledge hammer later on.

I have a pneumatic hammer that I drive mine into the ground with. I had an electrician watch me do this and he went out and bought an air compressor and the same air hammer as mine.
I sank the 8' rod full length in less than a minute.

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
Hummm shhh dont say this too loud but dig around the rod then drop a coffee can full o copper sulphate in hole wetten it up put dirt back over it n shhh dont tell anybody,i didnt tell you that either

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated