• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Groundplane Antenna

A coat hanger? That's gonna be one large coat!
Can you do it? Sure, why not? When you get it done, would'ya take pictures?
- 'Doc

Sp5it,
So how much quieter would it be? Worth the trouble, or not? I'm certainly for getting rid ofr noise, but what's that resistor going to do to the rest of the antenna system? That's a legitimate question, what would it do?
- 'Doc

10 K ohms should not even be seen RF speaking. 10 K ohms versus 35-50 ohms....nope not gonna do a thing except allow static to bleed off. A high value choke will do the same thing.

Because of static electricity. Grounding coax shield plus resistor will cancel it.
Also antenna will be more quiet on RX than open one.
Mike

If I need to deal with static electricity a well placed shorted stub will be far better, and it may provide a slightly better match, not that a better match would be necessary in this case, nor would it be noticeable.

It would lower the resonant impedance (R on your antenna analyzer) of the antenna at the expense of added loss, and that loss would effect the antenna in both directions, lowering noise, yes, but also lowering transmitted and received signal strength as well. All that being said, 10,000 ohms in parallel with the 35 to 50 ohms that would be present in the antenna itself (horizontal to 45 degree angled radials), I don't believe any of this will be noticeable, including the change in noise level.

Would it not also put a limit on the antennas maximum transmitted power? The antenna as shown is effectively limited by the wire used, I'm guessing adding the resistor the power limit will be lowered to about 400 watts, but that is a guess... In any case, I highly doubt a single two watt 10,000 ohm resistor could handle the power some here in the states are known to use...

Another effect I see it having is SWR bandwidth, it would be wider as you are introducing losses, and losses increase bandwidth. How much is the question, likely not really much...

I guess I still don't see the point, but to each their own I guess.

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.