• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GRRRrrr. in one week 2 radios go down (need 148 help)

Dodgeboy426

Jun 20, 2006
Alright, first my TRC 485 (modded) fries it's transformer. No prob, I'll pull the trusty 148 (vintage) and use that. Well I think it blew a final. it recieves but has no carrier or modulation.

So how do I test this to make sure? and what is a good replacement for the 1969? More power would be better!

Now I know alot of people frown on doing that kind of stuff to the old 148's but she's already done: xtras, opened/unlocked clarifier...

so we might as well keep going now :LOL:

One way to cheat is to hook that 148 up and use a monitor or second radio on the same frequency or channel key the bad radio (148) and see if theres any audio or meter movement on the good or monitor radio. Sometimes with being so close if the final transistor is blown the driver will still give low audio or signal reading. I personally would go with the 1969 transistor again there is nothing wrong with those and you dont have the hassle of component swap outs like you would if you were to use the mosfet setup. I have also seen reheating the points at where the 3 legs connect the final to the board resolve this due to bad solder it happens Ive seen this a few times bouncing around or getting hot may cause this... Good luck

I thought of that too, yes my handheld will pick it up if you are close to it so yeah must be the final. I thought the 1969's were discontinued?

If it's the final ? you can find 69s on ebay , rather steep to say the least but their there. You might advertize in the Swap Section that your looking for one and maybe get a dirt cheap price on one. There's still a lot of those floating around. Good luck to you . OH .......Why I asked you about SSB , a common problem with those radios is the AM regulator can and does go out on those (especially the older ones) it will knock out the AM TX but will still receive but SSB will appear to be OK on both TX/RX. I believe I said that right. :) Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Well I'll try posting here and looking for one (1969) but I have a wack of others from old radios (some new too) and was wondering if there's a chart or something I can look at online. Maybe I have one that will work just as good or better, I hope.

I hate being regulated to AM only.......ZZZzzzzzz................ :roll:

oh yeah ! you got some old ones and you know they work ? just put the sucker in the same way the faulty one was.

I think RFparts still carries the 1969 final. Last I looked, they were about $5 each. Buy yourself a couple and maybe the drivers too as they are discontinued also. I think the driver is a 2166.

Those 1969 are everywhere dont worry about all the hype THERE GONE!!! OOOHHHHH NOOOOO!!!! Just look around you will find them ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.