• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grundig Satallit 750 power supply options

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
I understand this radio works best using the D cells rather than a wall wart that generates some hum.
I'm considering an external AGM 6-volt battery instead of the D cells for several reasons:
1) The AGM would be rechargeable.
2) The AGM would last longer between charges compared to replacing the D cells after XXX hours of use.
3) Chance of D cells damaging the radio if left awhile.

Has anyone else tried this? A fully charged 6-volt AGM battery might approach 7 volts. Would that be a problem for this radio?

I understand this radio works best using the D cells rather than a wall wart that generates some hum.
I'm considering an external AGM 6-volt battery instead of the D cells for several reasons:
1) The AGM would be rechargeable.
2) The AGM would last longer between charges compared to replacing the D cells after XXX hours of use.
3) Chance of D cells damaging the radio if left awhile.

Has anyone else tried this? A fully charged 6-volt AGM battery might approach 7 volts. Would that be a problem for this radio?

Nope, full D cells normally are around 1.6 Volts new, so 4 would be 6.4 Volt, 7 volt is too close to matter.
I run my Grundig Yachtboy on a wallwart well regulated 5 volts, the radio needs 4.5 volt.
If you really don't want to tak chances take a 2 amp diode up in line thatt drops the voltage 0.6 volts.
I don't see a problem with a well regulated wallwart of 6 volts, you can add a capacitor for extra filtering if need be.

That is the way i went no humm or buzz to be heard, i took an old transformeer wallwart put in 5 volt regulator and added some extra 1500 microfarad capacitor over the output, clan as a whistle.

Well, I hooked up my 6 volt (6.31 volt) 5 amp hour AGM battery with this charger:
1660420470573.png

Was $9.95 on Amazon, but "currently not available" but there are similar cheapo units available.

No more noisy wall wart. No more D cells.

Strange. The hum-inducing 6 volt wall wart I was using generated 10 volts and didn't fry my Grundig. A miracle. Lesson: Test voltage output before using.

The AGM battery together with the charger doing its charging thing noise-free generates only 8.3 volts, so I'm not concerned about that.

I also installed a cheapo volt meter on top of the radio - see photo.
Grundig with volt meter.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Satellit 750 also. I purchased rechargeable D Batteries and haven't looked back. I still use the power cable but only when I need to recharge my batteries.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.