• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hack Job

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Couldn't resist snapping a pic of this particular "repair" to a RCI base radio.

WhatsWrongWithThisPic.jpg

It worked a lot better once it was assembled. And the missing parts restored. (And blown ones replaced).

nomadradio said:
Couldn't resist snapping a pic of this particular "repair" to a RCI base radio.

WhatsWrongWithThisPic.jpg

It worked a lot better once it was assembled. And the missing parts restored. (And blown ones replaced).

heh, transistor is on the wrong side of the spacer :roll:

I asked the customer who did this "repair", but he declined, saying that the radio was an Ebay purchase.

Pretty sure I'm better off NOT knowing. Just as well. If I don't know, nobody can accuse me of bad-mouthing the fella who did it.

As if.

I'm not accustomed to biting the hand that feeds me. He's welcome to screw up as many radios as he wants, as far as I'm concerned. More business for me, when they want it to actually work. Whoever it is, I wish him long life and good health. Assuming none of his customers are armed.

wait a minute :idea: i can see the logic running through the guys head that did that, he figured that spacing it off the heatsink would help air circulation around the transistor and since he had better air circulating he no longer needed the thermal tracking diode to keep idle current in check, thats the very latest technology right there no doubt you heared it from me first :twisted: hahahahahahahaha

What?

you don't like my work? I had to pull that transistor off the rear panel so it would get more airflow around it, and make it run cooler.

What?

Well, I was gonna go with the, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh my eye, my eye."

:LOL:

Reminds me of the fella who got told to leave the bottom cover off of his Pride DX-300, "So the tube would get more air". Melted the aluminum clamp off the tube before the fuse popped.

Got a pic of that somewhere, but can't put my hands on it right now. I'll dig that one up and post it, soon as I do.

No ya see ya cant think when your brains are being sat upon. And I am not sure about any of you but when I take things apart and thats anything I put the parts all in order as I remove them to make it idiot proof if ya get distrcted things can happen . But this well ahhhh there really is no excuse for. Nomad is it possible that the owner may have done this and was a tad bit imbarrassed at the outcome?? I know I would be. Which brings me to my conclusionIF YA DONT KNOW ASK... AND IF YA STILL DONT GET IT (DONT ATTEMPED IT) and leave it for somebody who does. When I seen that pic the first thing I thought was that you were messing around and did that to post it for a joke. When I realized it wasent well I was speachless and stared in HUH???? and AWWWW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

This is a good one:

At my company, we hired a tech to help test our power supplies. It was an easy job, just put them on the test fixture and make sure all the LEDs lit. If not, fix the supply, they were not that hard to fix.

Well, the way he "fixed" the power supplies was to rewire the test fixture. He cut the traces and jumped all the LEDs on the test fixture to the main supply. Nothing failed after that and he was golden.

It did not take long for the big boys down the line to catch on, we threw him a blanket party on his exit interview.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.