• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham and Export radios????

There are no actual laws as to possession of "export" radios. The laws apply to SALE by vendors and OPERATION of said radios on frequencies the operator has no authority on. So, yes, a ham may use most any radio that meets mimimum spectral requirements. He can even make one himself! :D

But the question I have to ask is: WHY would you want a CB-lookalike radio with "channels", beeps and squeaks and echo--none of which have anything to do with ham radio? In general, a non-channelized 10 Meter radio that IS approved (see FCC certification sticker on the back) is much better than one of those so-called "export" radios anyhow! :D

To each his own, if I am about to pursue the ham hobby, I would look into an all-band, radio such as the Icom 706 or Kenwood TS-480. You can get *some* of these used for not much more than one of those bootleg exports. Caution: Do NOT use your ham radio on CB (dual-use)! It is illegal, and while it is tempting to do so, it is not a good idea. Use HAM equipment for ham, and LEGAL CB equipment for CB. The two are different, OK? :D Hope this helps.

CWM

Hey Drifter, did you get your HAM license? If so welcome to the wonderous world of HAM.

C W Morse said:
There are no actual laws as to possession of "export" radios. The laws apply to SALE by vendors and OPERATION of said radios on frequencies the operator has no authority on. So, yes, a ham may use most any radio that meets mimimum spectral requirements. He can even make one himself! :D

But the question I have to ask is: WHY would you want a CB-lookalike radio with "channels", beeps and squeaks and echo--none of which have anything to do with ham radio? In general, a non-channelized 10 Meter radio that IS approved (see FCC certification sticker on the back) is much better than one of those so-called "export" radios anyhow! :D

To each his own, if I am about to pursue the ham hobby, I would look into an all-band, radio such as the Icom 706 or Kenwood TS-480. You can get *some* of these used for not much more than one of those bootleg exports. Caution: Do NOT use your ham radio on CB (dual-use)! It is illegal, and while it is tempting to do so, it is not a good idea. Use HAM equipment for ham, and LEGAL CB equipment for CB. The two are different, OK? :D Hope this helps.

CWM
Thanks CW... I will look into those radios you suggest.

Drifter now that your a ham why settle for an export radio when you could have sooooooooo much more,legally. :D
Try to get a rig that you can use all the way around,and still have room to upgrade for HF.
There are a number of radio on the used market that are under the $450 dollar range.Congrats on your new privileges.
73,Stu

novakor said:
Drifter now that your a ham why settle for an export radio when you could have sooooooooo much more,legally. :D
Try to get a rig that you can use all the way around,and still have room to upgrade for HF.
There are a number of radio on the used market that are under the $450 dollar range.Congrats on your new privileges.
73,Stu
Novakor..... I intend to buy a Ham Rig that does everything. It sould be something I can grow into.... Do you have any suggestions for a good base type, mobile, and hand held

Drifter said:
novakor said:
73,Stu
Novakor..... I intend to buy a Ham Rig that does everything. It sould be something I can grow into.... Do you have any suggestions for a good base type, mobile, and hand held

You would do very well if you were to obtain a multi-band, multi-mode radio to use in your shack. All big manufacturers have these sorts of radios and some of them are mobile, some are portable. All will work in a fixed station with a high current power supply. I'm familiar with Yaesu radios and for a new ham, I would suggest that an FT-897 would be good. It's a litttle too big for mobile use but fine for fixed station or portable use. Covers all bands and all modes with decent output on all bands Runs on external or internal power supply, and batteries. The Yaesu fT-857 is the mobile version of the 897 and it can be also used with an external power supply. This one is less money but has more menu selection that has to be set up firrst.

Uising a mobile in the shack with a power supply will let you move from base to mobile at will. I have an FT-897 that I bought to use portable with optional internal batteries. As a fixed station rig, it works just fime but its too large to use as a mobile. It can be used mobile and Jaeus makes a mounting bracket for it, but unless you have a lot of room, its way too big.

I can't speak for other radios so can't help you there. But a radio with HF plus 6m, 2m, 78cm is the better choice over a single-band, and multi-mode over FM only is a better choice, too. They cost more, but not a much as two or three individual radios on different bands would cost. Plus, the multi-mode multi-band radios let you monitor everything and listen to how things go on different mode and bands.

The same things apply to handhelds. Multiband handhelds can be useful. Many hams operate dual-band HTs. Many new HTs have extended reeceive that can monitor bands far removed from amateur. If you're into scanners, HTs like this can be fun and many HTs like this have dual receeive Listen to traffic on two freqs at once. I monitor fire department dispatch plus ham freqs from 160m through gigaherstz ranges at once. Costs, though.

Don't know if this helps or confuses you. Good luck on your ham career.

I am drooling over the FT-817nd, it has all bands from 160- 70cm. Good QRP radio and you can run a amplifier if you want( it's only 5 watts). It's a good field radio, being fully self sufficent. I also think it would be a nice Base or Mobile setup. I am also looking at the VX7R, HT Triband( 6m,2m,70cm). Real nice for local or other modes like moon bounce or space station work. It's also multi-mode. Both radios are real low power, so if your looking for 100-200 watts, you will need to look else where.

Drifter here is a list of rigs that i would look for:
Yaesu FT-897 or FT897D
Yaesu FT-857 or FT857D
Yaesu FT-100 or FT-100D
Yaesu FT-817 (QRP Rig)
Any Icom IC-706 series,IC-706 MIIG
All of the above mentioned rigs cover HF,6,2 and 440 bands
and are general coverage. With these rigs you can now start playing with 6m,2m and 70 cm bands,and have HF bands when you upgrade.Also you can use as shortwave reciever.
If you keep checking back with HRO,AES,Burghardt and others online(used radios) you can find good deals.
73,Stu

CDX126 said:
I am drooling over the FT-817nd, it has all bands from 160- 70cm. Good QRP radio and you can run a amplifier if you want( it's only 5 watts). It's a good field radio, being fully self sufficent. I also think it would be a nice Base or Mobile setup. I am also looking at the VX7R, HT Triband( 6m,2m,70cm). Real nice for local or other modes like moon bounce or space station work. It's also multi-mode. Both radios are real low power, so if your looking for 100-200 watts, you will need to look else where.

I have the older model 817 that I got first for portable ops. It's a nice little radio but the ND is much better with digital signal processing. If you want to do QRP, it's fine. I've used the 817 and 897 portable QRP but the 897 can work 20 watts on batteries while the 817 can do only 5 watts and that's with 12v.. It all depends on what you to defiene as QRP portable, I gues. I'd favor the 897 over the 817 as a first rig since it can do everything, including working portable and on A/C it's a foll power base radio on all bands.

CDX126 said:

Did they ever fix the problem with the finals (BFC = Blown Finals Club)?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.