• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HAM exam questions??

When I encounter questions about tube specifics or CW issues, it is the equivalent of asking me about how to use a chaff cutter or a breast plough. It is important and interesting to know of the history of Amateur Radio and its roots, but are these worthy exam questions?

I made similar arguments about Geometry and Chemistry in the 9th grade.

When I look back at my original post, I may have been a little too harsh about what I said regarding tubes and CW. I agree that it is good to know about but maybe not to the detail that some of the questions were looking for.

My first pass through the practice exam that VA3ES suggested was more favorable than the other on-line one I originally took. The questions were more reasonable. I did not study beforehand and ended up with 70%. Now, with some good study materials to go through, things will be much better next time round.

I am also coming to agreement with what CK said earlier about just "doing it" to get over the hump and then I could ignore that stuff later if I chose.

Lets keep this thread on track. Its about questions on the exam(s). :mad:

actually, there were other issues that you raised too.:eek:

if you think the Industry Canada questions are bullsheet, then,...... just don't sit for the "test".

dit dit

i Recommend Gordon West as a good practice book before taking any exam.
it comes with the FCC part 97 rule book, and study guides, + audio CD's so you can have a listen while driving or sitting at home sipping coffee. forgot to mention you also get coupons for your first purchase @ HRO, and a few other HAM radio stores.

Tubes and CW.

CW? Well, the simplest radio transmitters are CW transmitters; easy to build. Novice hams, without much experience or knowledge can easily build a CW rig, and that was one of the rationals for knowing CW for your first license, way back when. Whip up a CW rig from junk-box parts, or more likely, a scrapped TV, and ZAP, you're on the air! In the '50's and '60's, almost every ham did this. Today, all those old CW rigs go begging at hamfests, because newbies don't know CW and have no use for such a rig.

Here in Canada, the first license is the Basic License. Industry Canada, in their infinite wisdom, does not allow any Basic License holder to build his own equipment!!! I personally find this outrageous, and disappointing. Coupling this with the lack of CW knowledge, I can sort of understand why they made this rule - no CW, no need to build a simple CW rig! But I still think ths rule is stupid. The other aspect of CW was that it was the original digital mode.

TUBES. You won't find tubes in modern, contemporary gear, but you will in the older used gear. All the older Kenwood and Yaesu rigs from the '70's used tubes in the output and it's useful to understand them. You might develop an interest in "boatanchor" radios, and then you'll ready need to know about tubes! If you operate a linear amplifier, you will definitely need to know about tubes.

All knowledge is useful.

Tubes and CW.

TUBES. You won't find tubes in modern, contemporary gear, but you will in the older used gear. All the older Kenwood and Yaesu rigs from the '70's used tubes in the output and it's useful to understand them. You might develop an interest in "boatanchor" radios, and then you'll ready need to know about tubes! If you operate a linear amplifier, you will definitely need to know about tubes.

All knowledge is useful.

Well said, I firmly believe that real radios glow in the dark.

The ICOM706II sits in it's original box, the FT-1000MP sits in the shack covered up, the Yaesu FT890 sits covered up, the Kenwood TS-440 sits covered up, the Cubix Astro 150 sits covered up.

The Kenwood TS-820, The Yaesu FT-102, and the Swan 700CX all get used.
When I want to play on 11 meters the Siltronix 1011D or 1011C get put in line.

All of the old hybrids or tubers will need periodic maintenance, alignment etc etc, even the older solid state rigs need aligned, with basic knowledge and some test equipment it can be aligned instead of being sent off to see the "DOC". It takes basic understanding to accomplish anything, thus the test exams questions may seem far fetched, but they are a necessity to ensure the operator has the required knowledge for the privileges granted.

I have studied for the extra class exam, I could give a flying flitt about satellite comms, yes I have to know all about those floating pieces of space debris if I want to upgrade. It sucks but if I want that 10KC of bandwidth for DX alley on 75 meters I have to know it.

Another very good reason to have some tech knowledge is so that you know when something is NOT working right. Often something can still appear to work fine however it may be causing interference all of a sudden or perhaps the audio is not as clean as it used to be. It is amazing what some people consider normal operation.

I think many old hams like to flatter themselves about trouble shooting and repairing their rigs.

While many older hams can and do fix their "old school" rigs, most of them just scratch their heads and asses when looking at modern rigs with the covers removed.

So, most old hams with modern gear are nothing more than appliance operators themselves.

:)

I understand where ed,VA3ES, is coming from when he mentions appliance operators.That term not only means one who simply operates his gear and does not have the knowledge to repair it but also applies to those who have no idea HOW to operate their radio gear properly. You know,just like an appliance. You plug it in and turn it on and that's it. I just want to :headbangevery time I hear someone on the air or post in a forum what the PBT knob does on his radio he has had for a couple years.Even better is the guy that can't seem to understand why his buddy is 20 over 9 on the repeater but he is scratchy and dropping out. Then there are the ones that want to wire up the D104 or the Turner +3 to their 2m radio. Not being able to repair the radio is only part of the appliance operator and it's not really all that bad. What IS bad is the not understanding how to OPERATE the radio.

I can understand that, as I see it in my field of work, guys who dont even know how to use the tools of the trade. One thing though, the stupidest question is the one you never ask. If someone doesnt know something, dont run him thru the ringer because he doesnt know, instead help him figure out how to find the answer. Then you arent just handing him the solution, you are teaching him. No one knows everything about radios, everyone is always still learning.

I think many old hams like to flatter themselves about trouble shooting and repairing their rigs.

While many older hams can and do fix their "old school" rigs, most of them just scratch their heads and asses when looking at modern rigs with the covers removed.

So, most old hams with modern gear are nothing more than appliance operators themselves.

:)

I do not know about flatter being the correct term, perhaps a sense of accomplishment on repairing the rig.

Many modern transceivers are SMT and without the proper soldering equipment it is usually unrepairable with the old weller soldering iron.

The factory in most cases just R&R the circuit card or sub assembly instead of repairing the discrete component that failed. Repair time is cut considerably. It is nick named pop and swap troubleshooting.

Appliance operators? Where there is a demand for a product then there is a market. Just have to figure out which part of the market you want to operate in.

I myself prefer all controls on the front of the rig, no menus, no little buttons to push several times to change the bandpass etc etc on and on and on.

The new features in today's rigs are not really nothing new, just different ways to access and adjust them.

I can not begin to count how many QSO's I have listened to where the ops are spending 30 minutes or more trying to adjust each others audio on the air. Push this button three times within five seconds, stand on your head and hold your breath, count to three then push another button and this will increase your bass response on your transmitted audio.

Screw that, turn the knob and talk, appliance operators indeed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned