• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham Radio Deluxe and sats

Qwazyone

Jan 25, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
Its impressive, HRD continuously adjusts downlink and uplink frequency and gives the current azimuth and elevation for the sat. I just got the RT Systems USB cable and memory program software for my FT857D. Once I get the audio isolation transformers connected I will actually be able to use it to transmit

HRD is definitely a one stop shop i use it with my FT-897 i have messed around with the sat functions but have not put them into practice as i don't have a base satellite antenna setup yet (coming Soon) SAT PC32 is also a good program.

I'm still learning HRD and hope to have the FT-857 in the next couple of weeks. Antennas are gonna take a little longer, looks like budget wise I will just get a rotator and set the antennas at a fixed 20 degree's. A few others are doing this with decent results.

I am hosting all of the current Ham Radio Deluxe Beta 5 version on my web server, you can see what's available and download them from Index of /HRD

The only problem with HRD and the 857 is that the audio gets paused, or muted for about a second when the downlink freq changes. The way around it is to take the audio from the DIN connector in the rear and run it through amplified speakers. Just an FYI if you haven't made it that far with that combo.

Dave - KB1PVH

The only problem with HRD and the 857 is that the audio gets paused, or muted for about a second when the downlink freq changes. The way around it is to take the audio from the DIN connector in the rear and run it through amplified speakers. Just an FYI if you haven't made it that far with that combo.

Dave - KB1PVH

I just experienced that this morning after reading about it, the first time I was messing with it I was listening to AO-51 and really didn't notice. But this morning it was obvious in just static and it vanished when I didn't allow HRD to control the radio frequencies. At least the DIN plug is otherwise known as a PS2(not Playstation 2) connector and I cut one off an old PC keyboard.

Can I transmit voice through the DIN plug also(for FM), it seems that almost everything I read says that it only possible when the radio is in digital mode?

There might also be a setting for tuning step that I haven't found yet in HRD, I think now that the HRD display updates in 1hz increments and even 2.5khz would be more than sufficient even on the 435Mhz downlink.

I think it does have to be in DIG mode in order to pass transmit audio through the DIN socket. You would also have to do PTT through the DIN also for it to work......I think.

Dave - KB1PVH

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.