• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hamfest Depression

Hamfests have declined over the past twenty-years, today I honesty see too much junk at Hamfests. Unless your a die-hard collector or lover of boat anchors few are interested in purchasing thirty-plus year old transceivers or have the requisite knowledge or skills to resurrect a old tube transceiver. Add to that sellers who believe everything is rare or a collectors item, sorry a twenty-year old two meter handheld or someone's botched and incomplete Heathkit that's been stored in grandpa's basement for the past thirty years doesn't qualify. I recall when regional Hamfests would draw thousands of attendees today your lucky to get a few hundred. There's still a few good Hamfests in existence but most are disappointing browsing through twenty tables of someone's junk is rarely worth the drive.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess we are lucky here. The hamfest we put on does only draw about 400 or so people. But the guys over the fest really pay attention to who they are reserving tables for inside. They have not let anyone in yet selling junk computers and the like. they will ask what you are selling before you can set up inside. But this is the only fest I have ever been to. I plan on making Memphis this year and a couple others if we get off the darn overtime and working every saturday.

kj4unx

I noticed a big drop off in attendance at the hamfests (when I used to go) which is sad because they usually are also doing the testing and if enough people don't show then the event goes away and it's once less place for people to test. It's getting harder and harder for people to find places to test.

I have to agree about the people selling junk at crazy prices, as well as there just isn't that much good stuff anymore. Most people are selling new stuff online on the ham forums or ebay so you end up with people selling old dusty relics around here and that's about it.

I stopped going about 5 years ago, haven't even thought about going since.

When I was back in Ontario, it was 1 1/2 hour drive 1 way to the closest hamfest. I only when once. Now that I'm west, close to Calgary, I hoping it might be better.

Prices on Ebay are totally out of reason! It used to be that years ago you could find real bargains there but now people are bidding stuff way beyond what it's worth. I actually sold a 2 meter radio that I had for almost a year and it sold for more than I paid for it new from HRO!
I have noticed recently that there are dealers on Ebay selling ham gear for 10-20% more than HRO and those sites have have dozens of watchers and buyers. People are buying used gear at almost new prices like there was a shortage going on. I'll buy new before I buy used gear for only 10-20% below prices advertised by HRO, Universal, CheapHam ect. :unsure:

Reactions: 2 people
Going only by the title of this thread...
Hamfests don't depress me much. When I go to one I figure I can't afford any of the really 'good stuff', I'm going to look for 'deals' or junk. You know, the affordable, cheap, stuff. I figure if I got enough in my pocket to get home on, and eat for the rest of the month, I probably will come out ahead. If I happen to run across one'a them 'good deals', hey that's to the good! If I don't, well, that's about normal so big deal.
And then, you look at some of that junk they're trying to get rid of and you think to your self, "If I had that, and made an adjustment to this-n-that, here-n-there, I could probably make something work that I can't do now! Ever do that?? I try to think of all the problems with doing 'this-n-that', you know. If I can't thingk of any biggies, then I'll probably try to 'deal' the seller out of their 'treasure' they figure is junk and there you go. Does it work all the time? Of course not! But that's the fun of it. Hey, if it don't work, they you got some treasure/junk to sell next year, right?
And then, there's the other reason to go to a hamfest. You get to meet people you've talked to and tell all kinds of lies! Prove your 'expertize' in communicating, your 'resourcefulness', 'shade-treeing' abilities, that sort of thingy. Oh lord, that's worth the trip all by it's self!
If hamfests are depressing for you then you got the wrong attitude!
- 'Doc

Reactions: 4 people
I went to quite a few Ham fests and around here it's the same sellers with the same crap they couldn't sell for the last 10 years......and asking the same prices.

Who needs hamfests when eBay operates 365 days a year. All that gear you would hold back awaiting the next hamfest now goes for auction and yes, the prices are usually crazy.

Hams are just cheap asses but CBers are just as bad if not worse because most dont have a pot to piss in.. I had some stuff for sale a few years ago locally and i actually had one guy ask me if i give him the stuff as he was broke.. I said no freaking way!

Or selling spam at the price of Filet Mignon. (eBay pricing)

The last hamfest I attended three years ago should have been called an "Old crappy computer parts fest". I think that's what they've evolved into anyway. Long gone are the days of real ham fests. I suppose there are a few really major ones that could still be labeled that but local fests are just sad.

There's an annual hamfest in Yuma, AZ that's very popular with San Diego hams. I went in 2012 and was quite impressed. The vendor room had HRO and all the big ham radio manufacturers, Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, Elecraft and Flex. There was a lot of good condition boat anchor stuff in the swap meet, albeit a little over-priced. There were some great prizes and a pretty decent dinner at the end of the event.

I went again last year and it was obvious that the event had gone downhill. None of the big manufacturers or HRO were present. All the vendors were mom-and-pop type sellers and the quality of the offerings in the swap meet had declined. The prizes were still great but the dinner was poor, but that was probably a good thing because the portions were meager.

I skipped going this year, but a friend of mine went over for the day and said the swap meet was even worse. He said it was like people were trying to sell the contents of their kitchen junk drawers...

We have a big multi-day convention coming up in San Diego this fall, so we'll see how it goes. I just think the days of regional hamfests are ending.

We use to have one in Washington Missouri,and it was colse to a acre,now its very small.Mainly,just old tube stuff.And alot of cb stuff,guys that just got there lic.But go every year,missed last year.But really like my glow in the dark stuff.

We have a big multi-day convention coming up in San Diego this fall, so we'll see how it goes. I just think the days of regional hamfests are ending.

I heard that the registration numbers for the ARRL SW division convention are "soft" so far. Doesn't help that it's extremely confusing to register online.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.