• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has Anybody Else Tried This?

I've heard this from other sources, as well. Never tried it myself, but it's worth finding out.

You guys try it out on your cars and let me know how many miles you went before the now-dried-out injector seals failed.

Many don't know this, but there is NO OCTANE in Gasoline. OCTANE is a rating that the burn rate of gasoline is measured against. The slower (or longer) the burn of gasoline, the higher the OCTANE reading is. The longer the burn, the more power you get out of a combustion cycle. The Acetone is doing the same thing.

Problem with Acetone, it dries out seals and fuel lines. I believe it could also cause cats to heat up. Notice how these two items aren't even mentioned in the article?! Maybe we can get those psycos from the Political section to come down here and cry CONSPIRACY!

If you want to add an additive, buy Chevron's TECHROLINE! Its does what it says! Or just buy Chevron gas and its already included! If you buy Arco, then you have bigger problems you are not even aware of! Good luck!

what's wrong with Arco?

160,000 miles and nothing more than oil changes, and I get 35 mpg on Arco 87.

But I digress, I really want to know what will lower my emissions for the upcomming smog test? A hotter cat sounds like that might be good, higher octane too?

Just for the test of course, I need this to pass the rigid kalifornica smog test. And it is for my old school Toyo 4x4 22R, with the EGR, air pump, and it has a new cat, but I don't think it will pass because it's tired, 240,000 miles, I just want to pass the test and sell it. Kalifornica is too dang hard to pass now, they make you put it on a treadmill and they run it at 60 mph while they measure it, and it has to be cleaner than a cow fart.

You want the cat HOT! You could also up the oil to 20/50. Castrol has that new GTX High Mileage which is not supposed to burn.

Put in a single bottle of Chevron's TECHROLINE; you can get it at Autozone. Make sure you get the right size bottle for the size of your gas tank. Run the full tank almost EMPTY before refilling with Chevron's Supreme (92). This makes sure you don't delete the chemicals working to clean your system! When the first tank is gone, put as much 92 in to take the test.....no need to spend the extra money on gas if Arco makes you happy. I'd suggest a full tank of Chevron when you put in the TECHROLINE! Its like a double shot from Starbucks since ALL Chevron gasolines have Techron in it already! (Techron is the additive, they call it TECHROLINE when they sell it on the shelves.)

Arco sucks! That pinging sound you hear is because of the gas! Time after time, most engine related problems are due to bad gas.

Before I went into the Navy, I was a heavy diesel mechanic. The company I worked for was hired to do in-frames on a new fleet for Arco. This new fleet had brand new Detroit 6V-92 engines. There was a massive recall on these engines due to faulty main bearings supplied to Detroit by the bearing manufacturer. I spent over 2 months in Arco's yard here in Southern CA (Bell, CA) spinning out main bearings and replacing them with new parts. Since the engines were already opened, Arco decided to have the rod bearings replaced and the heads reworked. We were able to do 2 in-frames a day by the time we left!

Every day I'd see some crappy looking tanker come in to fill up with gas. I finally asked someone about these trucks and he said they were independents delivering to the Circle Ks, 7-11s, and other low quality, budget gas stations. I asked if it was the same gas as Arco. He said yes, but pointed out the extra line that went into the Arco trucks. He said it was an additive that got mixed in during transit.

Arco is famous for having water in their fuel. I'm sure this is more about the quality of the station's tanks than what comes from the depot, and will agree that the old leaky tanks have been upgraded in the past 10 years. Still, Arcos reputation continues.

When ever someone says they are having a hard time passing smog or if their engine pings, I ask them what gas they are running and 95% of the time its ARCO!

What is interesting is that the BIG 3 in Detroit use Chevron Gasoline during the certification process of their engines! What is more amazing is that Chevron Gasoline is NOT available in Detroit and they have to have it trucked in from out of state!!!
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/techrongas/successbig3.shtml

I do NOT work for Chevron, own any stock, or have ANYTHING to do with their companies! I am a loyal customer who KNOWS the difference between good gas and bad gas. I ONLY use Chevron gasolines in all my vehicles!

We can get into a whole discussion on WHY Penzoil is bad for your car also!!!

Chevron Gasolines; Castrol Engine Oils (GAS); Chevron's DELO-400 Engine Oil (Diesel).....you can't go wrong! I do run Mobile 1 in my work truck and Safari Van. The wife's car gets Castrol GTX!

(Shell oils have a loyal following and Quaker State makes a good oil too.)

How did we get here anyway?

Wish we had Chevrons here. We have Shell,CITGO,BP and Exxons. I get best mileage from Shell. Exxon and BP I get the worst.

Hey guys if you run hi octane gas in an engine that has a compression ratio under 11 to 1 all you are doing is wasting your money and making the oil companies richer. Higher octane fuel does not make any more horsepower it is in the fuel to retard ignition or slow the burn if you will in high compression engines so they don't suffer preiginition, or firing before the plugs spark, dieseling, which causes major engine damage

Not true Yama. You are correct that higher RATED octane fuels burn slower (longer), but their IS an advantage to this!

Using baseball and golf as an analogy; you want to swing all the way through to get the ball to fly! "Pull" your swing, and the ball falls short.

The longer the burn, the more power you have available.

I was getting the 5 gallon jug of Flag from Kragens...good stuff, but I don't know if they still have it. Last I recall, I was getting the plain blue Chevron oil, 10W30...or whatever was the cheapest.

I'll give that a try when i go in, someone also said to retard the timing a wee bit.

I like the truck, it just drives like a dog. Someone said that's the way they are--it's the one with the solid front axle. Otherwise the engine runs smooth and starts easy.

If you want to add an additive, buy Chevron's TECHROLINE! Its does what it says!

I've heard that Techroline will fix fuel sending units, I hope, because my old pickup truck only reads a 1/4 tank when it's full, I've heard on the "internets" that it will fix fuel gauge reading problems.

I HOPE.

You guys try it out on your cars and let me know how many miles you went before the now-dried-out injector seals failed.

Many don't know this, but there is NO OCTANE in Gasoline. OCTANE is a rating that the burn rate of gasoline is measured against. The slower (or longer) the burn of gasoline, the higher the OCTANE reading is. The longer the burn, the more power you get out of a combustion cycle. The Acetone is doing the same thing.

Problem with Acetone, it dries out seals and fuel lines. I believe it could also cause cats to heat up. Notice how these two items aren't even mentioned in the article?! Maybe we can get those psycos from the Political section to come down here and cry CONSPIRACY!

If you want to add an additive, buy Chevron's TECHROLINE! Its does what it says! Or just buy Chevron gas and its already included! If you buy Arco, then you have bigger problems you are not even aware of! Good luck!

I believe (flash point) of the fuel you speak of would be a better discription of the fuels burn rate than the octane level of fuel.

The use of white mineral spirits which is the prime ingredient of most fuel additive/injector cleaners is by far the best solution to poor fuel economy as most fuels tend to leave shalac deposites on the metals of fuel delivery systems and white mineral spirits is oil base and will remove 99% of that uky stuff and thus improve fuel economy by increasing the fuels flow and movement of mechanical parts plus it burns like fuel also.

A once a year treatment of 16 onces to 20 gallons or so of gasoline will sufficiently clean any fuel system be it gas or deisel.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.