• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has anyone used a V-Quad base antenna and how good are they

They work pretty good. A guy in my town has one i helped him installe it . It's really ideal for small spaces , and all you need is a radioshack rotor to spin it

i've worked mobiles and other fixed stations at distances up to 200 miles+ on ground wave with the v-quad 1/2 wavelength up in the delta configuration and 150W PEP on AM. the front to side and front to back rejection is exceptionally good for a small directional array. dual polarization in the delta configuration also reduces fading skywave signal due to polarization loss by 20db.. it's my favorite directional antenna.

ok how that is work better,horizontal polarization or for both horizontal and vertical polarization. also i like to see any picture . tx. Freecell and N.J.124 AND MARCONI . 7351 TO ALL.

freecell wrote: dual polarization in the delta configuration also reduces fading skywave signal due to polarization loss by 20db..

so what does that mean "horizontal and vertical polarization" is better

untitledcg4.jpg

Anyone ever wonder why these are called a quad when they three sides?

Back in the day I used a wilson "V Quad" and was pleased with the preformance.

Reactions: Marc@Radio59
between the two which is better the y quad or the v quad. and how much difference are they from the shooting star. i know the star shows bigger numbers but is it that much difference to go from a y to the star. :?:

"V"-Quads.
A 'quad' is usually thought of as a full wave loop sort of antenna. They come in all sorts of shapes, round, rectangular, 'V', etc. By calling it a 'V'-quad you tell people what 'shape' it has. No other good reason that I can think of.
Polarization. You've got two basic choices, horizontal or vertical. There can be others in between those two but they seldom do any good. No matter which polarization you choose you will have a 50% chance of receiving an attenuated signal because of polarization. That's becasue at least 50% of the people who use them use the 'other' polarization from what you use, sort of. Same for any directional antenna (not so much for the omnidirectional antennas 'cuz' most of them are verticals to start with, right?).
Are there any huge benifits for using a 'V' quad instead of a 'regular' quad? They take up less horizontal space. Don't know if you'd call that a 'huge' reason or not. Any huge liabilities in using a 'V' quad? Maybe. To turn one so that it's horizontally polarized you have to put it on it's side. That means (can mean) that you've physically 'unbalanced' it, and the tower/pole it's on. Lots easier to twist a square quad horitontal and it not be physically 'unbalanced. Another one of those thingys that are 'huge' depending on you.
- 'Doc

This is a good upgrade from the Imax. Used one for a couple a years. You can turn it with a TV rotor. Freecell said it best!

"No matter which polarization you choose you will have a 50% chance of receiving an attenuated signal because of polarization."

the delta configuration delivers dual polarization with a single feedline. dual polarization in the delta configuration also reduces fading skywave signal due to polarization loss by 20db.. this applies to rotating ground wave signals as well.

"To turn one so that it's horizontally polarized you have to put it on it's side."

you have obviously never used one. the v-quad is more horizontally polarized when it is in the upright "V" configuration.

"That means (can mean) that you've physically 'unbalanced' it, and the tower/pole it's on. Lots easier to twist a square quad horitontal and it not be physically 'unbalanced. Another one of those thingys that are 'huge' depending on you."

in the upright "V" configuration the v-quad is balanced. on its side it presents no load bearing problems even in 70+ mph winds. (check the weight) the only worry is that without a rotor brake the tv rotor may "let go" regardless of the orientation. never saw that happen. if the wind blows through the elements perpendicular to the boom then wind load is minimized. park it accordingly.

either i'm not seeing the "wires" between the elements in the picture or those aren't v-quads. it appears to be a pair of stacked 6el. v-beams.

I would think the square loop would have higher gain and greater F/B ratio for the same sort of configuration.

A circle would be even more.

So I was just looking at the single driven element, and Cebik had some comments on the delta loop in various configurations.

Aren't skywave signals randomly polarized anyway?

freecell,

"the delta configuration delivers dual polarization with a single feedline. dual polarization in the delta configuration also reduces fading skywave signal due to polarization loss by 20db.. this applies to rotating ground wave signals as well."
--
This is commonly recognized as 'class-C' information. See explaination which follows.

"you have obviously never used one. the v-quad is more horizontally polarized when it is in the upright "V" configuration."
--
You are absolutely correct, I've never used one. I have also never been bit by a rattlesnake, but cn tell you that there will ~always~ be one of two results. 1 - You will get sick. 2 - You will get very, very sick.

"in the upright "V" configuration the v-quad is balanced. on its side it presents no load bearing problems even in 70+ mph winds. (check the weight) the only worry is that without a rotor brake the tv rotor may "let go" regardless of the orientation. never saw that happen. if the wind blows through the elements perpendicular to the boom then wind load is minimized. park it accordingly."
--
You certainly may be correct about the weight, I don't know. But that doesn't change the fact that the part of the antenna sticking out to one side is not matched by a corresponding weight on the other side sticking out. That tends to tell be the thing isn't ballanced. Right?

"either i'm not seeing the "wires" between the elements in the picture or those aren't v-quads. it appears to be a pair of stacked 6el. v-beams."
--
You're probably just not seeing the wires. And, they could certainly be 'V' beams. But since that isn't what the topic was, and since I can see something looking like wires. I kind'a think they are 'V' quads.

- 'Doc

INFORMATION CLASSES:
Type 'class-C' information is defined as pure, unadultorated, crap. Typically due to misinformation, or misunderstanding of the supplied information.[/u]

C2,
Can't say about the different shapes of a full wave loop can produce different amounts of gain. But, since the amount of area inside the loop does determine the antenna's efficiency, I would think that there could also be a difference in gains. Of the three basic types, circular, rectangular, and triangular, their efficiency is also in just that order, circular = highest, rectangular = middle, and triangular = lowest. The thing to remember is that while the difference in efficiency can make a difference in gain, it usually isn't very noticable (if at all) since that difference in efficiency just ain't all that much.

About the polarization of signals. They usually start out as the same polarization as that of the antenna. That signal's polarization can be chnaged by reflection (change in direction) from the ionosphere. Can also be changed by reflection from almost any reason, to some extent. But since a signals poalarization is determined by it's most characteristic 'direction' as a 'whole', not from some very slight 'chunk' which happens to be reflected from some object, the polarization of a 'skywave' tends to stay the same until the signal as a whole is reflected by something. (Geez! I'm glad I didn't have to say that instead of typing it, I'd'a run out of breath - lol)
- 'Doc

PS - What the "Ceeb" (Mr. Cebik) says has to be taken IN context. Sometimes, what he says doesn't mean exactly what it seems like it means on just the 'face' of it. Ask him, he'll tell you the same thing - lol. We used to argue about things quite a lot on the newsgroups and had a lot of fun at it. He still does as far as I know. I quit, got tired of it. Especially when my ISP started charging for the newsgroups! Oh well...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.