• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Have a Coke?!?

The 35 Whelen is a funny round. If you read articles about it, they are filled with outrageous claims. One writer claimed it was the most popular 30-06 wildcat. Apparently he had never heard of the .270 or 25-06. I don't doubt they were an inexpensive "magnum" before magnums were plentiful, but I don't see myself jumping on that train.

What is it about the 35 whelen that punches your primer?

Reactions: 357magnum
When I started reloading I bought the same 1970 Speer manual as Ralph ! Makes it easy now he can say " Look @ page 102 ! " Boy did I ask him questions !:LOL: Wait ... last I knew I still am !:whistle::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: S&W357
I have not seen my reloading book in 20 years. I moved and have not been shooting much at all. Just been shooting factory squeezed ammo.
The DOD did a study of full auto and semi-auto. Some guys were prone to spray and pray and wasted a lot of ammunition. The Semi-auto shooter had a much high ratio of kills to rounds fired. The people that live in Kandahar do the spray and pray a lot, Which is good for our guys.

Last edited:
Any place in particular?
They have "Machine gun shoots" here in Louisville. We do with one shot what they do with 100.
I've got a 100 yard range on my back 40. That's where I'll be. Just a short drive for ya Tallman
I also have some very cool targets that explode. Makes all the hounds start in. Big flame too. Come on over Brother, you know your always welcome up here in the Holler.

OH YEAH! I luv me some tannerite! Bang Boom! My son introduced my wife to tannerite and she has not been the same. She fired his .44 MAGNUM and said we got to buy one of these. She was some what timid at first around guns no more! Not a chicken bone in her body.
We were sitting in my son's living room and he comes in and says,"We can sit here and watch TV all day or we can go out and blow some shit up!" Before I could say a word I hear her chime in "Lets blow some shit up!" I have created a monster!

OH YEAH! I luv me some tannerite! Bang Boom! My son introduced my wife to tannerite and she has not been the same. She fired his .44 MAGNUM and said we got to buy one of these. She was some what timid at first around guns no more! Not a chicken bone in her body.
We were sitting in my son's living room and he comes in and says,"We can sit here and watch TV all day or we can go out and blow some shit up!" Before I could say a word I hear her chime in "Lets blow some shit up!" I have created a monster!
Hahaha!

Fog , like me only 100 yds , but better than nothing , first time some friends playing w/ Tannerite I said Holy :censored: you guys ain't right !:LOL: I don't do it often but Rock & Roll on my 45 cal Uzi converted by Action Arms in Az is fun once in while . It kept a PIA neighbor in check when I first moved here 20 yrs ago . Reloads have to be perfect in that thing though doing it . Store bought new stuff works better , but mine work just time consuming .

Fog , like me only 100 yds , but better than nothing , first time some friends playing w/ Tannerite I said Holy :censored: you guys ain't right !:LOL: I don't do it often but Rock & Roll on my 45 cal Uzi converted by Action Arms in Az is fun once in while . It kept a PIA neighbor in check when I first moved here 20 yrs ago . Reloads have to be perfect in that thing though doing it . Store bought new stuff works better , but mine work just time consuming .
You can go through a month's work of reloading in 45 minutes with that UZI.

The 35 Whelen is a funny round. If you read articles about it, they are filled with outrageous claims. One writer claimed it was the most popular 30-06 wildcat. Apparently he had never heard of the .270 or 25-06. I don't doubt they were an inexpensive "magnum" before magnums were plentiful, but I don't see myself jumping on that train.

What is it about the 35 whelen that punches your primer?

Yes, Poor Man's Magnum it was called by some many years ago. Good enough for any game animal in North America including the big bears. That and other hype around the cartridge made me interested years ago.

Maybe I fell for the hype. The Magnum word "punches some folks primer."

Kind of like Harley-Davidson...if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand.

Other not-so-popular cartridges I like are .30-40 Krag, 38-55 Winchester, 257 Roberts, 303 Savage.

I hunt often with 30-06, 308, and 270...but I like the .35 Whelen best. Fat .358" diameter bullet coming from a bottle necked .30-06 case suits me fine.

Yes, Poor Man's Magnum it was called by some many years ago. Good enough for any game animal in North America including the big bears. That and other hype around the cartridge made me interested years ago.

Maybe I fell for the hype. The Magnum word "punches some folks primer."

Kind of like Harley-Davidson...if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand.

Other not-so-popular cartridges I like are .30-40 Krag, 38-55 Winchester, 257 Roberts, 303 Savage.

I hunt often with 30-06, 308, and 270...but I like the .35 Whelen best. Fat .358" diameter bullet coming from a bottle necked .30-06 case suits me fine.
It makes more sense now that I have thought about it. The frontal area of the 35 was better at transferring energy with the crappy bullets of those days. With bullet technology we have today it really makes it obsolete, but that don't mean it ain't fun to shoot. I for one wouldn't want to get hit with that maul.

.35 Whelen

375630575.jpg

375630574.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.