• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Have you purchased ham gear because of this site? What was it?

It doesn’t matter if it’s a CB from the 70’s or an old Heathkit. If you take the time to refurbish that equipment it will give you many hours of pleasure on the cheap and you will also learn a few things. I’ll take an old Heathkit HW-101 on a Yagi over a 10 grand radio on a wet noodle any day. Sure, I would like to have some of that top of the line gear, but the price vs. performance factor has gone way beyond diminished returns IMO, especially CB radios that are inherently limited in the first place. In either case, the most important factor is the antenna. If only antennas looked as good as some of these new waterfalls…

Reactions: NZ8N
Yeah, I should have asked before I spent 3 grand on new. Could have got used for half the price.
The mentioned capital expenditure is absolutely correct, if one does not want to take the risk of a bad investment, then a new purchase is indispensable. But it always depends on what exactly you want to do. To that extent, I agree with your statement, amateur radio is a relatively expensive hobby. Of course there is also the argument that you can start with a lot less, but then with much less success!

If you take the time to refurbish that equipment, it will give you many hours of pleasure on the cheap and you will also learn a few things.
Yes, if you have the necessary tools, the right workplace, and enough interest in electronics! But for that too you need extra money, especially for the more sophisticated gauges and these are not always cheap.
In either case, the most important factor is the antenna. If only antennas looked as good as some of these new waterfalls.
That's right, the antenna is the ultimate heart of any radio system, no matter the price range this is. (y)

Yes, if you have the necessary tools, the right workplace, and enough interest in electronics! But for that too you need extra money, especially for the more sophisticated gauges and these are not always cheap.
That's right, the antenna is the ultimate heart of any radio system, no matter the price range this is. (y)
To me, having "enough interest in electronics" and being a ham are 100% in line with each other, if not, they should be. Although it helps at times, you don’t always need expensive sophisticated equipment to diagnose a problem either. That concept is used more as an excuse for not trying. I’d change that “much less success" in your previous statement” with “almost equal success.” Of course there’s risk involved in buying used, but there’s reputable sellers out there in the business that will back their used equipment. Also, there are a lot of hams on the air that feel the need to constantly buy the latest while selling off last year’s model. Their hand-me-down examples are typically in excellent shape. So what happens when you buy a used radio and discover it has issues? Seek help from fellow hams in the area or ask questions on-line or on forums such as this for starters. I’m a strong believer in solving most of these issues by your own efforts. Before the appliance operators started taking hold, repairing your own was SOP among hams. It's sad that's obviously changed. As I said before, becoming familiar with your new purchase and learning to repair it will grant you many successful rewards.

Reactions: Dmans
To me, having "enough interest in electronics" and being a ham are 100% in line with each other, if not, they should be. Although it helps at times, you don’t always need expensive sophisticated equipment to diagnose a problem either. That concept is used more as an excuse for not trying. I’d change that “much less success" in your previous statement” with “almost equal success.”
Unfortunately, things can not be generalized so easily because a lot of the devices today have an extremely complex circuit technology and are also equipped exclusively with SMD components. Without existing service manuals you have from the outset bad cards, as these are unfortunately not always provided by the manufacturers. It would be too much of a hassle for some amateur radio stations, so it's far more likely that they will give their device to the repair service rather than repair it themselves. Many people today prefer to spend their time outdoors and try things out rather than spend hours dealing with a circuit problem.

Technical problems in a simple device can certainly be solved with a few tools, but by no means all. At least from here, the equipment of a repair area can be quite expensive. So if somebody hasn't been dealing with electronics professionally before, then the acquisition of the necessary expertise will also be very time consuming. We must therefore accept that this doesn't interest everyone.

To me, having "enough interest in electronics" and being a ham are 100% in line with each other, if not, they should be.

Agreed, though I understand there are communicators and not just technical people in amateur radio as well. Of course there is room for both. That said, it is my opinion that even communicators should have enough technical acumen to at least describe the problem at hand accurately.

Before the appliance operators started taking hold, repairing your own was SOP among hams. It's sad that's obviously changed.

Tue, HOWEVER, the radios of yore did not have custom microchips that once supply is exhausted are simply unobtainium except for another donor radio. Not only custom chips but microprocessors with custom firmware burned in. We see this when someone picks up an older FT-1000 they want to use with radio control but the older versions had bugs which prevented their working under computer control. Yaesu came up with a fix in firmware version 6 as I recall but the radio needed to be returned to their repair center for chip replacement. Not all owners had that done and now someone will buy that radio and discover the problem. Yaesu no longer provides the upgrade, as I understand it, so the options are to not use the radio with computer control (live with it), find a donor radio with the upgrade done, or move it on down the road. There is no way the owner can "fix" the issue in the traditional sense.

I really love the capability and small size of the newer radios but also accept the trade-off that there are "no user serviceable parts inside".

Reactions: NZ8N
We must therefore accept that this doesn't interest everyone.
Yes, I accept the fact there’s now a substantial number of hams that have no desire to do any diligence about learning electronics. Many rather take the easy road and memorize all the test questions and answers that are freely given to them. The ham community has obviously been damaged by that group and I realize there’s no going back. I only take satisfaction and reminisce that this wasn’t the case during most of my tenure.

Reactions: RedRiverII
Many rather take the easy road and memorize all the test questions and answers that are freely given to them. The ham community has obviously been damaged by that group and I realize there’s no going back.
I can understand how frustrating it is for you, I'm as concerned as you are. But we should never forget that it's just a hobby that should be fun for everyone. Some radio operators like to work with electronics and spend a lot of time and money, others have their interests especially in antenna construction. Some are busy with kits, others are more interested in portable power supplies and battery packs. A few people have their interests mainly in restoring old radios and making them fully functional during the cold season. In amateur radio, there is something for everyone, the whole matter is now so extensive that no one can really do anything, that's just the reality.

Yes, let’s make sure there’s something for everyone. The future reality will be no test required for any privileges, just a small fee to cover call letter filing expense. I predict that requirement will also be eventually dropped. That’s the obvious direction things have been heading on this issue. After all, the reality is corporate money will make sure the law books favor their bottom line. The ham community has little power to do anything about it. Protests don't work, big money talks.

In the future ham radio will be a phone app with built in artificial intelligence to create artificial "operators" for you to make virtual contacts with.

In the future ham radio will be a phone app with built in artificial intelligence to create artificial "operators" for you to make virtual contacts with.
Hey, don't be so negative and sarcastic! :D
As long as there are scientists with gigantic radio telescopes, there will also be amateur radio operators with highly sensitive receivers who only want one thing, wireless radio communication and nothing else. Practically everything has changed in the last 50 years, the users, the infrastructure, the hardware, the software, the data networks, satellites, organizations, clubs, and finally the laws. But it also gives us all more opportunities to specialize where we have our interests. We are no longer doomed to sit in our shacks but now have great programs like WWFF, SOTA or POTA and so on. We have now better portability, better compact devices, better portable power sources. Even if almost nothing succeeds and no sensible connection comes about, we can still enjoy the outdoors and listen to the birdsong instead of the noise. Therefore, we should not see things so cramped today, but look forward to what we have!

.... Even if almost nothing succeeds and no sensible connection comes about, we can still enjoy the outdoors and listen to the birdsong instead of the noise. ....
I never realized ham radio and golf had so much in common.:whistle:

In all seriousness I do agree with that statement. Sometimes it's important to have an end goal, but not always. Sometimes it can be good to wander down the path and see where you end up.

I was never big on making every contact I can, I usually just sandbag and tune around to see what's out there. But that doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with chasing every contact you can if that's what you want to do.

Reactions: N0NB
I was never big on making every contact I can, I usually just sandbag and tune around to see what's out there. But that doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with chasing every contact you can if that's what you want to do.
I also think that this philosophy is not wrong. You can look around quite relaxed, who is on the air and who listens. If the conditions are good, DX connections can also take place over very long distances. Competitions are mostly interesting for various clubs when it comes to filling the log files.

The two worst effects that currently hinder us the most are all kinds of sources of interference and the god-damn running solar cycle. Unfortunately there is no remedy for the latter, but at some point that will be better again! :unsure:

Hello, with all due respect and appreciation known now, I'll add a bit about my experience. I did the memorizing routine and worked up to General. It was a mistake on my part. In my excitement to become a Ham I lost sight of the intricacies of the Ham experience. I'm paying the price now. I'm not a blabbermouth who only wants to hear my voice and gab, although that may change once I meet new hams and become familiar. So I buy a HT and find nothing and nobody. I boot up to General and buy a better HT. Same same, no contacts. BUT I'm the kind of fellow who will buy and read every book that I buy and try and learn as much as I can about this new hobby. Alright down to brass tacks, I really became involved to work emergencies. As an older fellow and similar to many experienced people like yourselves I saved some lives. I didn't want to out of fear but my shoes just started moving and I found myself immersed in action. If, and I pray If, the time comes to keep my community up to snuff I'd like to be a real Ham. So with you folks assisting I'll get to that point. I'd also like to connect to some distant places as much as those distant places would like to connect here. For those who want to pound me into the dirt, I've been there done that, and rose again and again with help of the Lord. He's got my back.

Yes, I accept the fact there’s now a substantial number of hams that have no desire to do any diligence about learning electronics. Many rather take the easy road and memorize all the test questions and answers that are freely given to them. The ham community has obviously been damaged by that group and I realize there’s no going back. I only take satisfaction and reminisce that this wasn’t the case during most of my tenure.

I don't think I've bought any ham gear with out checking it here first, but the better point is I know if the reviews here are not good I won't be wasting my money on it. My buys, Johnson Valiant, Hallicrafters SX-28 SX-42, ATLAS 210X, 350XL, Swans, Politronics, Heathkit.....You get the idea!

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.