• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heathkit SB-220 Amp. Repair

That's a cool link. What I want to know is his 'secret sauce' for shipping a SB-220 without damage. The chassis metal does not have the tensile strength to support the heavy HV transformer under any kind of handling shock. We have seen the chassis deck bent under that transformer in nearly every SB220 we see that gets shipped. The worst one had severed the chassis deck all along the rear panel. Frequently it deforms enough to interfere with one circuit breaker and crack its case. When the factory sold the assembled version, it arrived in three cartons. One for the amplifier, one for the tubes and one for the HV transformer. The transformer had plugs on every wire. You bolted and plugged it in when it arrived. But Heathkit was not foolish enough to ship it with the transformer bolted to the chassis deck. A look inside a Henry Radio amplifier reveals metal five or more times that thickness under their HV transformers. But you can ship their amps assembled. That's why.

If he has worked out a way to have you ship a SB 220/221 to him without damage, that would be real news.

Reactions: Unit 194 and NZ8N
That's a cool link. What I want to know is his 'secret sauce' for shipping a SB-220 without damage. The chassis metal does not have the tensile strength to support the heavy HV transformer under any kind of handling shock. We have seen the chassis deck bent under that transformer in nearly every SB220 we see that gets shipped. The worst one had severed the chassis deck all along the rear panel. Frequently it deforms enough to interfere with one circuit breaker and crack its case. When the factory sold the assembled version, it arrived in three cartons. One for the amplifier, one for the tubes and one for the HV transformer. The transformer had plugs on every wire. You bolted and plugged it in when it arrived. But Heathkit was not foolish enough to ship it with the transformer bolted to the chassis deck. A look inside a Henry Radio amplifier reveals metal five or more times that thickness under their HV transformers. But you can ship their amps assembled. That's why.

If he has worked out a way to have you ship a SB 220/221 to him without damage, that would be real news.

I shipped a few back in the day and they always had to be double boxed with my fingers crossed that they would make it in one piece. Somebody once told me that the proper way to ship them is in a wooden box/crate.

I repair these beasts. problems I found.
do the tubes get red hot after keying up?
zener diode ZD1 shorted. ?? No RF out? maybe resistor R3 is blown open.
only half power? RFC-4 or 5 open. need to ground the grids directly.

located in SE Louisiana.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.