• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heathkit SB-220

I recently upgraded the HV power supply and filter capacitor block in my Heathkit SB-220. All parts were supplied by Harbach Electronics. I tell you that was money well spent. My old Heathkit just hums along without breaking a sweat. The Peter Dahl Hipersil C-Core transformer is a beast too. Weighing at about 40lbs.

The power supply upgrade and the PD transformer are very good additions to a SB220, especially if you are going to use it on AM. Hopefully you got the beefed up transformer as it is well worth the extra bucks! The single stock transformer is not quite enough for two tubes but two stock transformers are ideal for three tubes.

The power supply upgrade and the PD transformer are very good additions to a SB220, especially if you are going to use it on AM. Hopefully you got the beefed up transformer as it is well worth the extra bucks! The single stock transformer is not quite enough for two tubes but two stock transformers are ideal for three tubes.
Yeah i got the Peter Dahl Transformer.

Just from the placement of the tubes, that's got to be a very highly modified SB-220, if it's an SB-220. No room on that RF deck without removing the transformer and caps.
- 'Doc

Do the filament voltage reduction mod if you haven't already, it really helps the life span of the tubes.

Just from the placement of the tubes, that's got to be a very highly modified SB-220, if it's an SB-220. No room on that RF deck without removing the transformer and caps.
- 'Doc

Do the filament voltage reduction mod if you haven't already, it really helps the life span of the tubes.

Yep. If you outboard the power supply and filament you have plenty room to work with and to provide adequate cooling from top and bottom. I like the way some of the John Boy 3 tubers are laid out with air sockets and chimneys. Not all are this way that I have seen though.

D99.jpg

D95.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio