• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hello everyone..

Milos

Jul 26, 2009
Woodside NY
Hello everyone, - nice forum you have :)!

I though i introduce myself as its the least i can do for now as a beginner here.

I am new owner of two VX-8R units and have been studying them and playing as well as reading a lot here. I love huge menu and endless settings and options. I love that it can be moded for expanded capabilities. I am listening a lot, and Tx-ing only at L1 power when i want to test features. Manual is quite "interesting" but better than without it :)
I do not have my call sign yet, and do not wish to disturb any real amateurs conversations, so i am keeping quiet.

Out of all the garbage on TV, internet, and even cell phone spam, i appreciate options, and quality conversations i could catch with my radio listening to experienced amateur hams.

My goal is to pass the tech test at least, and hook up with repeaters in order to connect with people. Ultimately, i would like to have my wife and I capable of communicating with each other from different parts of the city via these great devices in case cell phones go down.

Maybe some of you can direct me to a link of good book where i can study for exam. I saw many books so far on line, but i would prefer a single book that covers technician and advanced study.

cheers

Welcome Milos....

Your best bet it to get either the W5YI Tech study book from their website, or the ARRL tech study book from their website.
Study for an hour a night, depending on how much you may already know about general electronics and radio wave propagation, it may only take you a few short weeks of study to pass the test.

Once you have studied for a while, go to WWW.qrz.com scroll down to "Practice Tests" click on the test for "Technician" and start taking their practice tests, once you start nailing them with an 85% or better, you're ready to take the exam. Contact some ham's in your area to find out when and where the next VE test session is, and go for it....

thank you,
I find a lot of great sources of ham info online, but book makes it easier to read whenever i get free moment, which is not too often -) I just ordered level 1 and 2 from ARRL.

looking forward to joining you via waves!!!

I have basic knowledge in electronics and have been into audio, lasers, and repairing video equipment for few years, so i think this will be an interesting new hobby. Wave transmission attract me weather they are acoustic, or EM. These frequencies especially are nice as they can provide global communication with only personal home system.

best regards

Last edited:
Welcome to wonderful world of amateur radio. Once you get you hobby, you can have as much fun as you make it. I second WX2MIG on the books and practice tests. Before you know you will have your callsign!!!!

73's
KD3YT

Welcome, get the books for the test and use QRZ for practice tests, once you pass it will be easy to help your wife through the process, this is what I did and both my wife and I have our License, I just upgraded to General and she has technician, we both have Kenwood TH-F6 HT's that I programed the same. Even more fun to have the wife into the hobby as well.

73's

Another good set of books is the Gordon West series - he has one book for each license class. They're very easy to understand and he goes over each question on the test and explains why the answer is the right one. Highly recommended!

Since you've already got the radios, don't wait too long to go take that test! There's no rule that says that you have to understand "everything" about ham radio before you jump in. Part of the fun is the journey of learning as you go. Use the books to help you understand the why and how, but also take the practice tests at the same time. You can take the test as soon as you're confident that you can pass and continue your reading.

thanks guys.
I already ordered two books from ARRL over amazon, and test is only an extra motivation.

I have experience with antenna systems for IR, VHF/UHF and some 2.4Ghz digital two way com. systems, for about 8 years up until 2 years ago. I also worked with Shure and Sennheiser VHF/UHF wireless microphone freqs coordination and antenna distribution for high class events. Used to work on fixing some of that stuff too, although without much education on internals. Just general knowledge. oh, i did get 2 day course at Sennheiser for RF mics repair. I OD-ed the second day :)

.. BUT, although high fidelity, and extremely expensive, all those were low powered systems, mainly up to 250mW. You guys are playing with some long range reaches and that appeals to me, Definitely a new ballgame.

I appreciate everyone's welcome, and will shoot for the test.

cheers!

Last edited:
just to follow up on my mentioned plans..
I passed Tech exam tonight !! it was mainly matter of finding time in a very chaotic past few months and geting through the whole book to memoris rules and regulations. Most of technical questions i could answer without the book, but it would not be enought points for passing grade. Never the less it was nice getting back to school mode (sort of :) Thanks all for book sugestions.

I was a bit surprised to see as much as 13 people showing up to take exam, ages from 13 to at least 60. Most over 30 years old. Pretty cool.

can't wait to get call sign, and try to hit repeaters with my VX-8R

cheers everyone!

Hey..

Way to go and Congrats..
I never understood how so many find it so hard to pass the exams..

Anyways...is a great ( at times quite expensive )Hobby..

At times Ham radio is the Only way to keep in contact with society..
So is always good to have the gear and know how to use them..

I like how you set your mind to it...by buying a couple of HT's before taking and passing the exam..

thanks guys.

triple nickle: I passed test yesterday. Sorry for bringing up this old thread from July. I just thought i update you from then, and i figured it isn't wort starting new one.

Passing Tech test is far from hard if you have general knowledge in RF and basic electricity. If you don't, i assume it might be very much harder to start from scratch. The rest, (although a good amount) is standards, rules and regulations, and short abbreviation you simply have to read and memorize.

Everyone except one person passed test yesterday, so i wouldn't say its too hard at all. I am looking forward to read and go for General maybe some time next year. I got the book :)

cheers

Last edited:
The general isn't much harder than the tech test. As a matter of fact a lot of the tech questions reappear on the general. It does however get harder when and if you go for the extra.LOL It delves more into theory, and thats where I am at now digging mt way out to get ready for the test. LOL
mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.