• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hello from western Newfoundland.

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
I'm on vacation for 14 days to the island of Newfoundland and thought I would post up a few pix of the place. We are in a small community called Rocky Harbour for four night....two more to go then off to St. Anthony and L'anse aux Meadows to the only documented viking settlement in North America outside of Greenland. Right now we are in Gros Morne National Park and the landscape here is ruggedly beautiful. I was here once before 35 years ago but Cathy has never been before and is in awe. Nice break from the heat back home too. The day we left it peaked to 95 with a humidex of 105. Currently it is running about 68-70. Amazing what a few hundred miles north will do. They must have had some pretty wicked snow this past winter as the mountains are only about 2000-2600 feet high but the valleys on the slopes still have snow. Any white you see on the pix of the mountains is indeed snow.

Hmmmmmm........pix did not upload. I'll try again.
20190722203811.JPG

OK...for some reason it keeps dumping multiple file uploads to the same reply. Maybe file size. I am on my tablet and using a new Panasonic camera that shoots 18.1 megapixels so I will post one pix per reply. Yes that is snow. Shot from several miles away with a Panasonic DC-FZ80 bridge camera with 1200mm super zoom

20190723190237.JPG

Going to bike into Western Brook Pond tomorrow for a boat tour. The pond is actual a fjord that was cut off from the ocean a bazillion years ago. It is about 10 miles long but much less than a mile wide but VERY deep. The mountains rise to 2000+ feet on either side. On Friday it's off to St. Anthony and the extreme far northern tip of The Great Northern Peninsula. Hopefully we will see some icebergs drifting past on their journey south from western Greenland. There are still a few along the coast. That area also has a handfull of resident polar bears tgat came south with the ice flows. Just last month polar bear warnings were issued for a couple of the far northern communities
20190724150851.JPG

Pretty cool looking. Nice zoom too.

The more I use this camera the more
I like it. I bought it because dragging a DSLR with multiple lenses is a PITA. This one does HD video in addition to 4K Ultra video and stills at 18.1 megapixels. Zoom is from 20mm to 1200mm optical with an additional X2 digital zomm for a total of 2400mm. Insane zoom on it. I don't like to use digital zoom as it degrades quality but the optical zoom is great. I always have the right lense installed on it at the time. Still learning about it and trying to get used to it. The WiFi function is great to transfer pix from it to a Smartphone or tablet or to use a phone or tablet as a remote viewfinder or for remote control.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
That’s definitely cool, the WiFi option. Very impressive camera! Can’t agree enough that the zoom is also impressive.

Well make sure you use it plenty, we’re waiting to see pics. Enjoy your vacation too.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
20190722205608.JPG
20190722205608.JPG
Anywhere along the coast is harsh here. Trees are stunted everywhere but right on the shore they tend to be just a tangled mess of mature branches mixed with tender new growth and dead branches from the salt spray and frost. A lot of trees have branches mostly on one side due to the wind bending them in one direction. Imagine trying to walk thru this mess.

Nevermind the pix. WiFi here sucks and I am having trouble uploading images. Will try again later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.