• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hello, long time away from here. I'm back.

walterjn

Mar 15, 2019
I must apologize to you all for not being around much as of late. I have had a few issues as of late. Antenna mounts have failed, antenna failed, D-104 lollipop mic element seems to have taken a dump, coax has been replaced with more rg8x instead of rg8. I've spent the last 2 years off the air, and doing research on a little bit of everything, antenna, mount, coax, antenna location. Amplifier parts, as my little amp has blown a capacitor and isn't keying, thinking the keying transistor has gone south finally.

I have purchased a monkey made mm9 short base antenna, ordered a 3" puck mount from Breedlove mounts, and I will be mounting this on the headache rack behind the cab. Once I get that done, and get my amp working again, I'll be upgrading the coax to something similar to rg-213. The dynamic mic element search has taken a backseat for the time being until I can get back on the air. Then I shall be working on the amp and the mic. I know I can do a condenser mic element, I just don't want to have to rewire the mic again for power to the mic element hence the search for a dynamic element.
At some point, after I get back on the air, I'd like to work my way up to running more power. I'm thinking about a sweet sixteen, something I can run in conjunction with my little box.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Walter

I must apologize to you all for not being around much as of late. I have had a few issues as of late. Antenna mounts have failed, antenna failed, D-104 lollipop mic element seems to have taken a dump, coax has been replaced with more rg8x instead of rg8. I've spent the last 2 years off the air, and doing research on a little bit of everything, antenna, mount, coax, antenna location. Amplifier parts, as my little amp has blown a capacitor and isn't keying, thinking the keying transistor has gone south finally.

I have purchased a monkey made mm9 short base antenna, ordered a 3" puck mount from Breedlove mounts, and I will be mounting this on the headache rack behind the cab. Once I get that done, and get my amp working again, I'll be upgrading the coax to something similar to rg-213. The dynamic mic element search has taken a backseat for the time being until I can get back on the air. Then I shall be working on the amp and the mic. I know I can do a condenser mic element, I just don't want to have to rewire the mic again for power to the mic element hence the search for a dynamic element.
At some point, after I get back on the air, I'd like to work my way up to running more power. I'm thinking about a sweet sixteen, something I can run in conjunction with my little box.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Walter
you were gone ? wondered why it was so quiet,get on here n tell us more.welcome back

I have read many times about Heil making a dynamic element kit specifically for the D-104 head, but I have never used one. It comes with a matching transformer also.

I am no expert, but there are a few things that “could” be going on with the element you have. Check the wax on the center of the element to be sure it has not cracked and in some sense separated the diaphragm from the center pin for the most part. I am unsure if the mic still works at all as far as modulation is concerned, but I have had some elements perk up quite a bit due to repairing the cracked wax. I have also had the 4.7uf capacitor on the amp board short and kill the mic completely. Too many variables overall, but figured I would throw a few out there.

Welcome back.

If your D104 is on a TUG8, TUG9 or TUP9 base you might consider the electret condenser replacement kit offered by Www.w2eny.com
Easy as pie to install, good instruction sheet. The electret cartridge is powered from the mic amp, no need to supply from radio. All you need is a piece of foam of some sort to mount the cartridge in the D104 head. Have been using one for over a year, works great, excellent audio reports. About $22 or so.

Reactions: walterjn
Good to have you back Walter.

that D104 element may have gone bad but there is a chance it's fixable.

I've done other threads on this with more detail but basically you take the face off of the mic head as well as the insulation so that you are looking at the mic element itself.

using a cigarette lighter, you can re-melt that wax that's in the middle, which is what connects the big aluminum foil disc to the actual rochelle salt element behind it.
over time and with temperature variations this connection can be come loose causing the mic to sound bad.
worth a shot!

if you'd like some help with the amp maybe you can take a pic of the cap that blew so we can see which one it would be.
LC

Welcome back.

If your D104 is on a TUG8, TUG9 or TUP9 base you might consider the electret condenser replacement kit offered by Www.w2eny.com
Easy as pie to install, good instruction sheet. The electret cartridge is powered from the mic amp, no need to supply from radio. All you need is a piece of foam of some sort to mount the cartridge in the D104 head. Have been using one for over a year, works great, excellent audio reports. About $22 or so.

Honestly, I have thought about doing that. However, my D-104 has been extensively modified/ rewired and I really don't want to have to rewire it to add power for the condenser mic.
Welcome back.

This is what my D-104 looks like now. I wanted the classic D-104 sound in the mobile. The best thing is that I have the amplifier board turned all the way down and I still get fantastic audio reports with the mic gain on the radio turned back to 12 straight up. I have already used all the pins on the connections that I used for this project. Which is why I don't want to re wire it.
I wonder if the element cracked due to the way the truck rides, the suspension is kinda stiff.
IMG_20200904_141259_1~2.jpg
Good to have you back Walter.

that D104 element may have gone bad but there is a chance it's fixable.

I've done other threads on this with more detail but basically you take the face off of the mic head as well as the insulation so that you are looking at the mic element itself.

using a cigarette lighter, you can re-melt that wax that's in the middle, which is what connects the big aluminum foil disc to the actual rochelle salt element behind it.
over time and with temperature variations this connection can be come loose causing the mic to sound bad.
worth a shot!

if you'd like some help with the amp maybe you can take a pic of the cap that blew so we can see which one it would be.
LC
LC
I'll look into taking that d104 apart and take a really good look at the element. If I can repair it that would be fantastic.
As far as the amp, I'd love some help, I'd love to get that old girl back on the air; thank you. I'll see about getting a few good pics of that cap/ location that blew. I'm not sure that there is anything left of it except the wires to the board. Ii might have to wait for a few days as I'm dog sitting for the boss, and will probably be busy for the next few days.

Welcome Back!
You might be able to use a dynamic element like this:

or this:

Last edited:
Reactions: walterjn
Just a mockup. Wanted to see what the truck will look like with this antenna. Will post another pic showing mockup location. Actual location will be a few inches behind the mockup.
IMG_20220328_111158_1.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.