• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help id this "phantom"amp

johnny9

Dec 3, 2013
bikini state
tryed to find this in the many phantom threads here but no many folks post pics.

i can poss add this to my small collection..a old "ham" :whistle: amp but not certain what it is.
the guy says its a phantom 3000..so id think thats the triple stage,but in the cbtricks link the triple stage has a extra switch,,here
http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/d_and_a/phantom_triple_stage/graphics/phanton_triple_stage_om.pdf

this is a pic of the one i may can get for not much and was used by the same feller its entire life.hard to tell but looks like the switch on the left is 10-20-40 meters?

Attachments

• d&a phantom 3000.jpg
    d&a phantom 3000.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 99

rs your eyes are prob correct..i cant read it with a magnifier myself.

well if its a 10 tube then thats a 5-600 iirc..and if its a 12 tube thats the one in the cbtricks link i think?"3 phase"
the guy says its a 3k but i think he really dont no.neither do i.
i read the 10 tubers were better than the 12 tubers on line..we will see if the deal go,s thru come fri..
either way i assume its worth a couple bucks in trade..
he said his dad used it on 11 meters back in the day.

d&a phantom

Looks to me like a d&a phantom 500 should be equipped with 6lq6 tubes........I have one that is a triple stage.

That Phantom has 15-20-40 on it, but you can click that bandswitch one more to the right, and it has the 10 (11) meter band in it too.

Judging by the case size and layout, I suspect that's a 12 tuber, with the small 6AQ5 keying tube. If the tubes are in good shape and it hasn't been beaten on, that's a nice score. You need to find one of those old birds for me! LOL

~Cheers~

Old triple stage with 3 power transformers inside. Good for a reliable kilowatt PEP. It will do more but there goes the tube life.

thanks for all the replys;) i guess i will take a chance on it and see what happens..it may or may not happen but looks good for now.
exit13 there everywhere..just spend a hr a day cruisin the web in your states towns and citys..everyday i find some good ones..if this goes thru im gonna stop:D
the firebird500 is doing a great job for me so far but not getting out far yet.
hookin up the wire in the sky tomorrow hoping its better than what i got for now..
at 53 lbs maybe the guy will put it in the truck for me,hahaha

Unfortunately, Phantoms in my area are quite scarce, and while I can find them out of state easily enough, they are quite costly to ship. That's why I don't have one currently.

I have a President Madison that would play nicely with the old Phantoms, the radio only does about 16-17W PEP on SSB, and I very seldom run AM, so the tubes would last a long time for me.

My X-Force 2 x 4 base amp does a great job for me right now, but there's just something a good old sweep tube amp that I enjoy... even tho sweep tube amps aren't exactly optimal for true "linear" amplification. :D

~Cheers~

The beauty of any tube HF amp is that if you put just the parts needed to make it work inside the box, they run much cleaner than when you apply the same principle to a solid state amp. Skip the bias circuit on a tube amp and it still sounds clean on SSB because tubes use the bias circuit to reduce idling current where transistors use the circuit to supply the current.

Skip the tuned input circuit or adding a bandpass filter on the output and tubes will always produce a cleaner signal with less harmonic content due to that tank circuit tuned to the operating frequency. Of course this is all dependant on the operator resisting the temptation to drive the amp into gain compression or clipping of the envelope.

PS: Just about every sweep tube amp I tested always had excessive idling current due to the lack of any negative bias voltage. Many already have the tubes operating at full plate dissipation BEFORE any RF is applied. The simple diodes in series with the cathode DC ground works on sweep tubes too. Not a bad idea if you want extended life out of those expensive tubes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
To the PS part by shockwave: This is true, and is a poor design, although Dentron and some others actually did this too. Even some of the older Gonset amplifiers would do this, although they did have a terminal on the back for the bias, and assumed you would use it and connect it.

But, what do we fix a poor design with? Another poor design. Let's route the B+ (plate voltage) through an open frame small relay and have it clack on and off by means of an RF keying circuit. That's what a lot of the older, sweep tube amplifiers meant for the CB world did.

i will prob never understand the technical stuff you guys are talking about.but will just agree theres something about the ole tube amps that turn me on:D

My X-Force 2 x 4 base amp does a great job for me right now, but there's just something a good old sweep tube amp that I enjoy... even tho sweep tube amps aren't exactly optimal for true "linear" amplification. :D~Cheers~

drop the hammer in that corn patch:D then again i hear much bigger power from them corn feilds on a daily basis..kinda like cars,theres always gonna be someone faster..

Phantom Ham Amplifier | eBay

Lol no "dropping the maul" for me... The amp "only" does about 600W PEP on SSB on my Bird 43A meter on maximum (not the 1200+ that X-Forces states it does) and I seldom run it wide open! If I have it on (which isn't often) I usually run in about halfway on the variable, which is about 350-400W PEP. That's plenty for me. :D

Just saw the Evilbay listing there, that's waaay too much money for a Phantom. I'll just keep looking. LOL

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.