• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help Selecting a SW radio

Selway

Nov 12, 2021
I live in a valley in mountainous north central Idaho. I would like to buy a radio to be able to keep up with what is happening in this crazy world. I am thinking that rather than getting a wide band radio that I would not be able to use all of, I should get an AM/SW radio with good reception quality. Does this make sense and does anyone have any suggestions. For in home use. Battery powered. Under $500. range. Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Sangean ATS-909X. Great radio receiver and looks very nice as well. (The white one). They are under $300 now i think. I have one and love it, on the built in antenna it receives really REALLY good. Shortwave, fm, am broadcast band dx and all. On an external antenna it hears everything. Put this one on your list.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out and found that there is an upgrade (ATS-909X2) and it had very good reviews. Found a good price on Walmart.com so ordered it. Thanks again.
That's a great price! I ordered one too! Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out and found that there is an upgrade (ATS-909X2) and it had very good reviews. Found a good price on Walmart.com so ordered it. Thanks again.
Got mine yesterday. How are you liking it so far?

I was listening to Radio Havana Cuba on 6000 kHz and the 40 meter amateur band last night. So far I'm very pleased.

RTL-SDR is my go-to watch the bands radio. Does all kinds of modes and has awsome computer display with SDR# (SDR sharp) software which is free. (The older version of the software are better than the ones.)

Reactions: SWLQSL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.