• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with standing wave on a new penetrator 500.

flea49

Feb 9, 2010
Dunlow,West virginia
Help with a new penetrator 500,I have tried every measurement,50 ft of new coax above the rooftop and cannot get below 1.5 on 40,and 1.4 on channel one,has anyonegot a measurement i can try?

A friend just put his together at 22' plus a few inches to get flat on 20. I think the manual has measurements for ten or twelve meter. (y)

Reactions: 1 person
If you've not tried lowering the top section of the vertical just a bit I would. It is favoring channel one, which indicates the best match may likely be below that frequency. Shortening the overall length of the vertical should bring it in nicely.
How much? Can't say, but I'd probably start with 3", and see where it lands.

Reactions: 1 person
your vswr is completely safe . you can adjust the length of the vertical and ground elements for fine tuning though .

Reactions: 2 people
It may be too close to the roof. You did not say how high above ground or the roof it is.

Exactly. "Measurements" that somebody in another location takes might work perfectly well for him and be out of the park for you. This is where an antenna analyzer would pay for itself. If you don't have one, experiment. Try changing dimensions a little bit and take notes about what happens. In general, the longer the antenna, the lower the frequency at which it'll show the lowest SWR.

Some stats about what you have tried would help with analysis!
If you have used the measurements that are in the manual, there's no wonder your having problems.
As stated up stream, the swr your seeing is better then some stations out there.
I've had two P500s and both of them were over 22 ft.

:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.