• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Helping the cb revival along

xm49north7

Mar 21, 2019
I think that cb is making a comeback. I think one of the things we need to do is help it along a little. I have been talking friends up about cb radio, how happy I am back on the air, but how there aren't many locals on. So I have decided to help get a few on the air. Where I live cb is dead, dead. I have found a few cheap used radios. I continue to look for more. In short I am going to do my part to set up a few friends. I built a full wave antenna with a 40 foot portable mast. I now have a loaner set up. I will be setting this up in friends yards for a week or two at a time let them have a go on the cb. This is of course great for me, I get a local to talk to, they get to try cb for no cost. Great fun. If there looking to own a setup I will do what I can to help get them up and running. I live in an area where people like to be self reliant. So I always tell them a cb is great if things ever go side ways. I have a solar panel and battery for mine, so the prepper angle helps get some interest as well. If things every got bent , those cell and repeater radio towers would be of no use. The cb would be great, simple, low power local comms. This does get there interest. So I think there is a slow revival happening, and there are some new reasons people are interested. After 40 years away, prepping was part of my reintroduction to radio. I could not be happier. Spread the word, people are near tired of this old internet; radio just might be the new thing.

I think that cb is making a comeback. I think one of the things we need to do is help it along a little. I have been talking friends up about cb radio, how happy I am back on the air, but how there aren't many locals on. So I have decided to help get a few on the air. Where I live cb is dead, dead. I have found a few cheap used radios. I continue to look for more. In short I am going to do my part to set up a few friends. I built a full wave antenna with a 40 foot portable mast. I now have a loaner set up. I will be setting this up in friends yards for a week or two at a time let them have a go on the CB. This is, of course, great for me, I get a local to talk to, they get to try CB for no cost. Great fun. If they're looking to own a setup I will do what I can to help get them up and running. I live in an area where people like to be self-reliant. So I always tell them a CB is great if things ever go sideways. I have a solar panel and battery for mine, so the prepper angle helps get some interest as well. If things ever got bent, those cell and repeater radio towers would be of no use. The CB would be great, simple, low power local comms. This does get their interest. So I think there is a slow revival happening, and there are some new reasons people are interested in. After 40 years away, prepping was part of my reintroduction to the radio. I could not be happier. Spread the word, people are near tired of this old internet; radio just might be the new thing.

You know I think you are correct I have been giving a great deal of thought the last several years on how more interest could be encouraged in the area of CB radio especially in the mobile arena. Although base setups are just as important in the whole of the idea I would suggest the mobile approach the first step. Maybe if we can others on board I would be willing to take on a certain amount of radio service a greatly reduced rate just a few a month to help encourage someone to give it a try and maybe set a trend. It's hard in the day of Cellphones to convince someone that CB is even worth consideration but if they could be shown in some way the error of there thought it may make a difference.

You know I think you are correct I have been giving a great deal of thought the last several years on how more interest could be encouraged in the area of CB radio especially in the mobile arena. Although base setups are just as important in the whole of the idea I would suggest the mobile approach the first step. Maybe if we can others on board I would be willing to take on a certain amount of radio service a greatly reduced rate just a few a month to help encourage someone to give it a try and maybe set a trend. It's hard in the day of Cellphones to convince someone that CB is even worth consideration but if they could be shown in some way the error of there thought it may make a difference.
I think the more we can let people try them, the better. I get people to help me test my gear, lend out mobiles, just get peoples hand on the key. I am mostly retired , have the time, have the inclination, and enjoy cb radio to no end. This is just great fun. Mobile is the easiest way to get on the air no doubt, easy to loan out and set up. I am always trying to share this hobby. I think cb radio is great local comms, and skip is always amazing. I will also get into a little shortwave listening as well. The joy of cb radio for me is the simplicity. I have had/used dual band uhf/vhf, I did not really enjoy the equipment. I like the older style cb radio. Does what I need, a joy to operate. Looks great. Affordable. In a nutshell. """""FUN"""""""

Maybe I can convince a co-worker who travels from the next city South to try a setup - I have a spare mini CB with a K30 (whatever is the equivalent of the Lil Wil) with a cig plug... Then we could chat on the way in.

I've noticed a trend away from CB to FMRS or something similar in the Jeep groups. They seem to think the longer range is better. Many are actually removing their CB. I have thought about going with a small unit to 'compliment' the CB. I have a spot were I had a CB antenna at one time on my tire rack before it was relocated to the bumper for the 102".

Any recommendations on one of those? I could squeeze a unit the size of a Uniden Pro520XL under the Cobra 25 I have under the dash. CJ5s have limited interior real estate...

xm49 , First welcome to the forum ! You will be glad you joined , so many smart people on here . When you get your friends interested show them how to make a simple wire antenna . Great thing to know for " Preppers " like myself ! Like a Boy Scout I'm " Prepared " .;):D
Yes I have made many wires, jpoles, dipoles, moxons, run a full wave loop right now this one seems to be the keeper for me, gets me my best results, a full wave rectangle hung vertical side fed, about 6 feet wide and 12 feet tall at 36 feet to the feed seems to be the ticket at my location.

Reactions: 357magnum
I always ran a 102" whip on my Toyota LC Fj-40 . Ever look into the Anytone At-6666 ? 10m but switches to 11m w/ push of a button ! Sweet little radio about 65 watts output & very small & fairly cheap . 73 , Leo
I had one of those anytone dualband vhf/uhf, it made such a loud beeps, had such a bad manual, and menu after , menu, not sure I could do another or not. Have been watching the 6666 for sure, may be in the future, would need to see one in person, I know they get out well on youtube vids.

In my area, it is about house to boat communications.

In the analog days, I had an 8' Shakespeare marine cell phone antenna and I could hook my cell phone up to. That rig got me 50 to 70 miles range over the water. No more. It is now way too easy to head a few miles out over water and lose cell phone capabilities.

The CB has stepped in to fill the void. From about 7.5 to 10 miles out, the cell phone won't work out here. The CB will step in and keep me in touch with the house.

sounds like a heck of an idea! I'm sitting here right now...without a setup....but listening in on websdr.org. A couple of North American sites have a 10m setting that stretches down to 11m....and I am actually hearing bits of skip going on. Clear enough to hear. And THIS is at NIGHT!!!!!!

It would be nice to crank up interest again..,..

I don't want anything too fancy looking - it is a 78 CJ5 with a soft top and no locks. If I did get a GMRS, it would probably be mounted inside the console or something out of sight. A CB by itself wouldn't bring too much attention, but 2 mics hanging on the dash, etc might.

I hate to say it but I am a little "gun-shy" about putting much of anything in my truck. My job in the Medical Center pretty much requires that I use Metro Transit to get to work from a park and ride. Back in late 2009 I got back at the end of the day.... my whip was still on....but unfortunately it was a "flag" to somebody prowling the parking lot during the day. I found my driver's door lock punched in and the radio gone.

The place is not guarded... they have cameras... but they aren't going to catch everything.....

Having that lock punched is not a cheap fix....and all it takes them is a 3 lb hammer and a screw driver.....to knock out a lock just to SEE if something is in there.....

Reactions: 357magnum
Sounds like setting up for base radio is the way to go , and if that is not an option, maybe a portable weekend outdoor setup kit. This seems very popular in the uk, they drive out to a nice hill, set up a nice pole antenna beside the car and then make contacts with others doing the same. Good idea for those who are in cities that make getting a base to work well ,do to buildings and noise.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated