• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Here is a intetesting Antenna to think about

Thanks Six Shooter, I found the specs for a square/rectangle DDRR in a book by Peter Dodd, G3LDO (silent key). It was his second edition, "The Antenna Experimenter's Guide" copyrighted 1991.

I have to do some more work on this model, because the book shows the antenna specs at 14 MHz. I scaled the model up to 27.205 MHz, but I want to try making the ground plane resemble closer to a mobile roof line.

I'll be posting this model in a new thread.

So, I'm hoping to finally see one of my DDRR models produce some significant vertical polarization...like The DB described above as possible.

Last edited:
Here is an old post of my experience with a lossy feed line on my Starduster many years ago. At that time, when a few CB buddies made me aware that I had a low signal issue, I was curious, but I had no understanding of losses...except thinking losses sounded real bad with regards to antenna gain and a low signal. Click link below.

SWR HAPPENINGS ?

Thus far, all of my models of the RRDD antennas were lossy, because they all show to have a very low ohmic feed point impedance, generally less than <1 OHM with varying values of reactance as well.

My PDF model below, attached to the cab of a pickup truck model about 8" inches below, shows a match >100 ohms, lots of loss in the match. With such a match, the gain shows -1.35 dbi at 27* degrees...which is not bad for a mobile antenna only 120" inches above real Earth. That said however, I don't think it will work well with your transmitter unless it is tuned somehow.

IMO, this supports the idea that this antenna is very lossy. This antenna's efficiency is less than 3%, and has been reported in numerous articles. It seems to be a characteristic for this design.

IMO, this may account for the very quiet operations we read reported in my post #49 above, "...the receiver is dead quiet and the meter is on zero". Hams in the same article reported how quiet it was. My personal link at the top of this post also reports way back...that I had a similar receiver response when I was using a very lossy feed line on my Starduster.

I think is was Jeff's link below, that also confirms this antenna is a fire breather, producing sparks and smoke. The DDRR is also referred to as being a magnetic type of antenna, and therefore is said to be detrimental to nearby modern electronics, also in the article. Click here: http://orionmicro.com/ant/ddrr/ddrr1.htm

Maybe this magnetic antenna is what excited both Mustang 31 and Motor Mouth Maul as noted in the video link I posted and in 31's post. I also noticed in MMM video he was in a very old truck and maybe that explains why, no modern electronics. Possibly more clues as to what was going on that could be a problem with the DDRR. IMO, if this antenna was such a remarkable performer...why is it seemingly in mothballs and so secretive today. We need a good article exposing this antenna for what it really is. I'm going to check on W8JI's website and see if he has something to add about this antenna.

The article also tells us the USN Wheeler transmitters each produced 10,000 watts. 31 claimed he used a big amp and that MMM did also. Maybe this is what this antenna needs in order to transmit a strong signal, being as it is so inefficient.

I believe the reports about the DDRR being very quiet when on the air, because I remember the responses I got with my lossy feed line, while I heard other's around me complaining about noise on their rigs. I just didn't know why...and all the while I thought it was because I used a simple Starduster.

Hey 31, were you able to get this antenna matched, and if so how did you do that?

Or, did you guys have to use a heavy duty tuner to match the coax to the radio when using a high power amp?

Did the antenna also produce fire, smoke, and sparks like MMM showed us with the amp on?

Models below were made per specs from Peter Dodd, G3LDO, West Sussex, 1996 (silent key) in his second edition of "The Antenna Experimenter's Guide."

IMO, the DDRR is very inefficient due to the heavy feed point loss, and would seem to require a lot of watts to produce a decent signal...if it could be matched some how.

Here I can also report this model shows VERTICAL gain, but the angle still remains high at 27* degrees above the horizon. I suspect this is due to the mobile ground plane used vs. 1/4 wave radials I used earlier. This may be why we see this multi-band version being use on a ship over sea water...to noticeable lower the TOA over a, more or less, infinite ground plane.

Models below:
1. is a rectangle DDRR. It is 120" inches high attached to the roof of a simple pickup truck cab. This model has no matching device included, and it is over Eznec's idea for a real Average Earth. It shows a typical very low feed point impedance, value of R = 0.6219 OHMs, with -70.49 OHMs of capacitive reactance, with SWR > 100 OHMs.

2. is the same model as #1, except I forced the model to show a perfect match, noted as FTM in the model's title. This gave the model a good match and forced the losses to show up as gain losses instead of feed point losses.

Attachments

• DDRR Over TruckCab 10' vs. the same that is forced to match FTM.pdf
    876.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I found one reference to the DDRR antenna, on W8JI's Website, in this very long report near the bottom, at this link.
https://www.w8ji.com/mobile_and_loaded_antenna.htm

I used this Microsoft tool. Simultaneously type CTRL F keys to open the function to scan this long document, in case you want to try it. Open the document and then open this tool, and just enter a word or phrase into the proper field. AFAIK, this will scan any real text document.

Below is the comment, so you don't have to read the whole report trying to find the reference.

"Radiation resistance of a Marconi vertical in the maximum possible radiation resistance case for a given height (this is the case where current is uniform throughout the structure) is equal to 1580*(H/L)^2 where H equals height and L equals wavelength and both are expressed in the same units. Using degrees, we see a 10-degree tall antenna has a maximum possible radiation resistance of 1580*(10/360)^2 or 1580*.000772 = 1.22 ohms. This would apply even if the antenna is a vertical, DDRR, Fractal, or folded unipole with considerable top loading."

Last edited:
Jeff, sorry I shanghighed your thread for the Jo Gunn Super Sinner RV, but the truth is the JG antenna is a horizontal 1/2 wave.

The DDRR is a very complicated 1/4 wave low profile vertical antenna.

IMO, the DDRR may be suitable for ham operators that might be interested in solving their very tall antenna height issues while working very low frequencies, but this one is probably just more pie-in-the-sky for most CB operators.

Eddie, nothing to be sorry about!
I love this.
I very much enjoy talking and learning about antennas, be it 27 MHz or other bands.
I think this section of the forum is one of the best places here to talk, learn, and investigate antennas and how they work.
My thanks to you, DB, Shockwave, Henry and many others that contribute to this part of the Forum.
I feel it inspires good conversation and ideas.
My hats off to you.

Now here is a crazy thought.
A_0-g.jpg
8 inch flexable ducting and connectors to try to build a cheap DDRR just for fun.
This stuff is semi ridgid and comes in 8 foot lengths at the hardware store.
If I had a big flat metal ground sheet.....
Where is Homer?

Jeff

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ideal-air-duct-coupler-flex-8-inch-736420.jpg
    ideal-air-duct-coupler-flex-8-inch-736420.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 6
Eddie, nothing to be sorry about!
I love this.
I very much enjoy talking and learning about antennas, be it 27 MHz or other bands.
I think this section of the forum is one of the best places here to talk, learn, and investigate antennas and how they work.
My thanks to you, DB, Shockwave, Henry and many others that contribute to this part of the Forum.
I feel it inspires good conversation and ideas.
My hats off to you.

Now here is a crazy thought.
View attachment 30600
8 inch flexable ducting and connectors to try to build a cheap DDRR just for fun.
This stuff is semi ridgid and comes in 8 foot lengths at the hardware store.
If I had a big flat metal ground sheet.....
Where is Homer?

Jeff

60A09F36-95C6-4EAA-BAC8-A2B48A8A6545.jpeg

Great thread.

Would never imagine that antenna working well just a few inches over sheet metal...nor can I understand how it could possibly be vertically polarized.

Interesting that the old advertisements for similar designs say the same about vertical polarization and specify a metal roof.

Marconi’s comments about running big power are on point as well. I have little doubt a lot of DX has been worked off stargun “mobile beams”...all antenna theory aside. Put a few kw into anything, and you’re bound to reach to someone.

Lots of ideas being discussed and links to check out.

IMO, this JoGunn idea is not a low profile vertically polarized DDRR antenna.

It looks like a gamma fed, folded, center fed 1/2 wave dipole over Average Earth. It produces a maximum horizontal gain pattern that points straight up in the sky. Below, this antenna pattern is noted in red, with a maximum gain straight up at 90* degrees above the horizon. See post #38, click here.

According to this JG model above, the antenna looks like it could still work on the road, and maybe shoot some skip...if attached well to a metal roof of a RV type vehicle. However, I don't know how well it might hold-up at HY speeds.

Lots of ideas being discussed and links to check out.

IMO, this JoGunn idea is not a low profile vertically polarized DDRR antenna.

It looks like a gamma fed, folded, center fed 1/2 wave dipole over Average Earth. It produces a maximum horizontal gain pattern that points straight up in the sky. Below, this antenna pattern is noted in red, with a maximum gain straight up at 90* degrees above the horizon. See post #38, click here.

According to this JG model above, the antenna looks like it could still work on the road, and maybe shoot some skip...if attached well to a metal roof of a RV type vehicle. However, I don't know how well it might hold-up at HY speeds.

Yes, appreciate that delineation as correction.

“Low, horizontal-mount loop”, got stretched just a tad.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.