• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Here is a intetesting Antenna to think about

All joking aside I was at the G&E bar across from the GE plant outside Indy back in the late 1980's after picking up a load of lite bulbs when a driver came in and warned everyone to go turn their radios off as he was going to "talk to mama long distance". About 10 minutes later the metal rings on the dart boards on the back wall started to hum. A few folks swore they heard words and that he made the dart boards talk to them. If I remember right he was pushing about 3k. Good times lol.

In all seriousness here...a couple questions:

1. Any theories as to the vertically polarized claim? I mean, how is that possible?

2. Why does this antenna/design need to be mounted over metal? That defies everything I’ve ever thought!

All serious offers considered :D

Reactions: Slowmover and Tokin
1. Any theories as to the vertically polarized claim? I mean, how is that possible?

Dan, I would guess the idea has something to do with ideas for a low profile antenna, with high losses, low impedance, that can hear very weak signals, at very long distances. Better RX responses than the typical, more efficient 1/4 wave vertical radiator at very low frequencies.

I would have never thought about such an idea.

Sounds the very opposite of what you and I might expect, right?

Except for the fact, I once had a 100' feet of RG8x coax attached to a Starduster, and my radio buddies all around me kept telling me...my signal was very low. I didn't believe them, because I seemed to be able to talk to most of all my regulars all around me (local and DX). My radio Rx was always quiet (low to no static) when other's would be complaining they had S5 - S9 static. I thought it was just my Starduster that was quiet.

However, when I took the antenna down I tested the coax with a dummy load and with 100 watts in I would get about 10 watts to the DL Plus the coax had a clear cover coat and I could see the dark discoloration on the shield, more or less from one end to another. When I originally got the coax from a buddy he told me he had it installed on an A99 for maybe 10 years. I later learned that A99's and Stardusters, had the type of antenna connection...where the coax was directly below the antenna connector, and they were known to leak water into the coax below. My Starduster also showed an exceptionally wide bandwidth as well with a very low SWR all the way. That was another sign of a problem, that at the time I did not understand either.

2. Why does this antenna/design need to be mounted over metal? That defies everything I’ve ever thought!

Well, in the report that Boyer made on land with the Northrop Corporation, they used metal sheeting over a very large area instead of using lossy Earth.

With the antenna on the USN ship 755 Wheeling they used the helicopter pad to mount the antenna, and they had the Ocean as a extended ground. If you ever operated a two-way radio in salt water you can really appreciate what an extended infinite ground can do for radio. I would guess this is what produced the great results they reported.

Last edited:
Sure does. If I had an application for it I’d probably play with the design.

Dan, I know you were blown-away by the little short vertical radiator producing any RF at all. So was I.

I don't think high gain was the idea for the DDRR. I'm convinced their ideas were all about being able to hear really weak signals at very long distances. They wanted to be able to dig down deep in the QRN and clear up the lower background noise levels. Then they could make all the power they needed to make the TX contacts.

I've modeled a few DDRR ideas and posted some above, but I never had good dimensions, and for sure no real details. I checked out as much as I could find and understand, but guessing dimensions should be a last resort. However, I did see some results that appeared close to what was reported, so I will probably get back to the idea.

Check YouTube, where there might be some of these small magnetic loop ideas you could play with.

Reactions: Slowmover
Dan, I know you were blown-away by the little short vertical radiator producing any RF at all. So was I.

True. But it’s not hard to blow me away with antenna theory ...haha.

I always appreciate the contributions from yourself and others on the topic!

You’ve long been willing to dive and analyze some of these crazy designs for nothing in return...and I remember quite well the effort you put into both the Francis mobile and my Skipshooter!

True. But it’s not hard to blow me away with antenna theory ...haha.

I always appreciate the contributions from yourself and others on the topic!

You’ve long been willing to dive and analyze some of these crazy designs for nothing in return...and I remember quite well the effort you put into both the Francis mobile and my Skipshooter!

X2.

I may not be up to speed in any good sense, but I’m off the shoulder and rolling. The explanations on offer illuminate the MANNER in which to think about it

Last edited:
i first purchased jogunn sinner in 1979..went to the manufacturers home in tennessee..he had 3 or 4 towers on his property with different model antennas..i lost my antenna when my maxi van was stolen..i bought another one 2004 for my rialta rv...best antenna for rv or van..low profile (height)..

Reactions: Slowmover
Atop a Rialta makes sense.

Have you made comparisons with a typical vertical? I’m wondering how well it does for distance.

I’ve also wondered how well it would do on an RV roof where other devices take up space.

Directionality?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.