• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF antenna

xflyerwdavis

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 4, 2014
I am in the process of setting up my station and there are covenants and restrictions pertaining to antenna's, Etc in this housing development. If I ran my long wire antenna along the top of my 6' privacy fence were it would not be seen, would it function properly?
Walter KD4OMR

What about an attic dipole? 25ft off the floor in an attic will work better than 6ft off the floor outside.

I'm in a similar situation and fiddling around with antennas myself. Look here:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-radio-antennas/165517-delta-loop-help-2.html#post464416

The delta loop I put on the roof actually works pretty well... just trying to get it all sorted out. HomerBB is using a delta loop in his attic with good results. I've also heard of guys running their loop around the perimeter of their roofline. 8-10' is better than 6', right?

Right now I'm considering putting up a EDZ and hiding it in some red tip photinias. They grow up to about 25-30 feet tall here in Texas, so that will get it up in the air a little bit.

For the long wire, it's worth a shot. If you've already got it, I'd put it up and give it a whirl. After that, you might try the delta loop.

Brett

I cannot put up a flag pole as this is a rental property. I am considering putting my long wire up in the attic as it is pretty big. I just need to figure out how to get the coax through the ceiling to my station.
Walter KD4OMR

I cannot put up a flag pole as this is a rental property. I am considering putting my long wire up in the attic as it is pretty big. I just need to figure out how to get the coax through the ceiling to my station.
Walter KD4OMR

I had an attic dipole during my younger apartment living days. I drilled a small hole in the ceiling of a closet to run the coax down into the bedroom.. A little spackle over said hole if you ever leave the apt and know one is the wiser ;)

I am in the process of setting up my station and there are covenants and restrictions pertaining to antenna's, Etc in this housing development. If I ran my long wire antenna along the top of my 6' privacy fence were it would not be seen, would it function properly?
Walter KD4OMR

what about a tarheel screwdriver antenna I know a friend lives here in Fl. in a community with hoa bylaws and he has that antenna up and gets out...

Look into small coaxial cable. RG178 and RG316 both have 0.1 inch outer diameters and could be easily hidden. It could be easy to run it through the attic hatch or through a sliding window. Check the specs for power rating, both surprisingly high for HF operation.

Reactions: 1 person
Look into small coaxial cable. RG178 and RG316 both have 0.1 inch outer diameters and could be easily hidden. It could be easy to run it through the attic hatch or through a sliding window. Check the specs for power rating, both surprisingly high for HF operation.

Agree with Warren...Also cheap 300 Ohm twin lead(Radio shack grade) See ZEPP antenna....
Also good old cheap 2 wire (ZIP) lamp cord or speaker line (About 72 Ohms) can be painted about any color you need to "hide" with This time of year Green works well... Again See dipole or double ZEPP and your "IN the Air":D
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

The problem with twin lead or similar balanced feed is that it should be isolated from metal objects. It can not be taped to a metal mast.

Yeah, I learned that after having made many, many successful contacts with my DX-60 and an 80m doublet fed with 450 ohm ladder line taped to a tower leg for about 30 feet. :whistle:

Seriously though, it worked but I can only imagine how much better it would have worked if it had not been taped to the tower. :laugh:

Yes Gentleman you are correct, but at the same time as CK made mention it can also be very forgiving.
The homebrew cheap PVC pipe insulators (Stand Offs) can be used. The ready made (Radio Shack grade) stand offs that clamp to mast work well.
You can run it under Gutters a short distance tied off with nylon string, fishing line or baling string works well...
You can run it through or smashed down in wooded windows, thru walls with a simple PVC sleeve (even metal siding) and it will still perform well.
Laying on tree limbs, tops of bushes...etc.
I am not saying it is the miracle feed-line, but my experience it is much more user friendly than coax when it comes to, through it together (a dipole) (ZEPP) (Doublet) (Marconi) just through it up with a junk box homebrew tuner (Pie-Network or double L / T match...etc...And your on the air...
There are those that say you can not run it in same sleeve with other Twin lead or feed-line...I am doing it...2 runs of Twinlead (1) 450 Ohm...(1) 300 Ohm right next to each other in same PVC Sleeve through my drywall, and the brick wall under the gutters.
I am just saying if you really want "On the Air" it can be done:D
I love my W8JK antenna (80-15m) Also a Doublet cut for 75-15m...
Damn I need another tower:whistle:
All the Best
Gary

Gary, I think in my case both side of the feedline were screwed up equally so the balance was preserved but it was like a capacitor sucking the signal out of the feedline. LOL :laugh:

Gary, I think in my case both side of the feedline were screwed up equally so the balance was preserved but it was like a capacitor sucking the signal out of the feedline. LOL :laugh:

I am just glad I was not doing your tower work, when that rare DX called CQ:w00t:
All the Best
Gary

PS...My Better Half just noticed the boxes my Second DRAKE L4B was shipped in:oops:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?