1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

hf antennas

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by rfoverlord, Mar 18, 2007.

1. rfoverlord

rfoverlord guardian of freedom

so what is the ham crowd running for hf freqs. ?????

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

Probably the most common is the 1/2 wave dipole. Next is probably one of the 'shortened', multiband thingys. And then probably a vertical of some kind. The lower you go in frequency the more 'horizontal' antennas get. 20 meters is probably the lowest band where a vertical gives half way decent performance with out throwing a lot of money at them. A loaded vertical on 40 meters is a rather large thing, sort of. The more 'compact' ones are very narrow in usable bandwidth. Below 40 meters don't bother with a vertical unless you want to sink a lot of time and effort and $$$ into it. When they are done right, they really do work well. They are seldom done even close to 'right' though.
    If I have a choice, I'll take a full wave loop on the lowest band I can possibly squeeze into the room I have available. Feed the thing with ladder line, through a good tuner, and use it just about anywhere. They're about like a woman. Takes a little while to 'get used' to them, but sure are nice when you do! (uh... they also have the 'other side' of being around a woman. I'll leave that to your imagination.)
    - 'Doc

(I may be over-weight, but I ain't no 'crowd'.)

3. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

One of the more common antennas seems to be the tribander for 10,15, and 20m. The three element variety is popular. I use the Cushcraft A3 tribander for 10-20m and a dipole for 80m. I presently have a 300 foot longwire for whatever else suits me at the time.I have the tower to make a full sized 80m 1/4 wave vertical but no cash to put it up and do the right way.It is steel commercial tower from a commercial AM radio site and each section weighs 175 pounds. A couple more years and it should be up however. I need to do some landscaping in the area first.

4. KingCobra_CDX882

KingCobra_CDX882 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

GAP TITAN DX here

5. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Long wire and a MFJ tuner, works very well for what I have into it. And it blends into the trees very well.

Jeff

6. 74IN

74IN Well-Known Member

This spring, I'm putting up a full wave loop for 160M. Only 500' long.

7. Happy_Hamer

Happy_Hamer Administrator
    Staff Member

Well I am running a Tarheel II in the mobile, you didnt mention mobile or base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SR385

SR385 Active Member

That's a nice install, going to be putting in an 857-D in an older Unlimited soon.

How is that setup working out for you? I'm going with a plain old ball and just swapping out radiators for now I think.

9. 231

231 Member

I run a dual polarity tubular Moxon beam for 10, 11, & 12 meters, and I'm going to make one for horizontal 17 meters (which I'm hoping will cover me for 15 & 20 meters), too. Then I have my 1/2 wave inverted V for 40 meter. No tuner yet (as I haven't needed one) but will get one sooner or later.

Been considering trying to make room for a Windom wire antenna. I've read nothing but good about them...but doubt I can get enough height on it. There are tons of good home brew and store bought antennas available for HF, but I tend to lean toward building my own over buying when I can. Living in the middle of a neighborhood with CC&R restrictions kinda' puts a damper on things sometimes. ;)

10. rfoverlord

HH, thanks for the mobile shot. I am considering a Hi-Q 2.5/80 XTL since it doesn't change lenghts. i'm kinda nervous about the whole up/down along a dirty shaft and the winter months wearing out the seal along the shaft. I am currently running a 120' dipole fed with ladder line into a 4:1 current balun then coax into the shack. It is up 40' center and the ends are 12' off the ground it works. and the verticle is just the home brew 1/2 wave for 27 MHZ. both are fed with a LDG AT200-PRO which seems to work pretty good. I have a new 9-50 universal tower and i'm looking for a decent beam for 20-6. I was leaning toward a Mosely but the wait time is a little rediculous, so now i think it's going to be a Tennadyne T-11 http://tennadyne.com/index.html But looking at the reviews of some of the smaller ones on e-ham, and taliking to a few owners i may go smaller. :D :D 73

11. Master Chief

Master Chief Guest

I would like to know how you got this to work. One of the critical measurements is the gap between the ends of each element. This gap is determined by the frequency. How are you getting one to work across 5 MHz? Please post some pictures too!

12. rfoverlord

gotta be with a tuner, that was the only way i could get 1.5MHZ spread. but i was using 1/2" maybe he's using something larger to increase the band width?? :? :?

13. Hamin' X

Hamin' X Active Member

As MC indicated, the gap is frequency critical and this does not change much with the diameter of the antenna material. Also, the pattern goes kaput with frequency excursions much over 2%. You might be able to get a match with a tuner, but your signal might be warming the clouds.

Rich

14. rfoverlord

:D that's why i'm curious cus i couldn't get mine that far even with a tuner. curious minds want to know? :shock:

15. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

rfoverlord,
    I read your thoughts about the variable length mobile antenna's seals and getting dirty, etc. All things considered, it isn't as much of a problem as you might think. Sure, the inner shaft can get dirty, and the 'seals' will wear out, but normal maintenance takes care of those things easily. Can't comment about the 'HiQ' antenna, never saw one. But I've had one of the screwdriver type things and do know a little about them (one that definitely was NOT of the quality of the 'TarHeel' or any of the other commercially made ones).
    The one 'problem' that was the biggest worry was the 'finger-stock' that was used to make contact with the moving coil. Easily solved, just use a spring 'wrapped' around the moving coil as the 'contact' instead. (Antenna Dark-Ages, as in when they first started showing up. The 'dirt' shield on the outside of the coil was also one of those 'brilliant ideas' of that 'age' in history. Remember those large plastic 'candy-canes' filled with Christmas candy at 'Wal-Mart'?? Yep, that's where they first came from - lol. Won't tell you where the 'spring' thingy came from, you wouldn't believe me anyway.)
    - 'Doc