• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF mobile radio questions

blu i devil

Apr 29, 2005
I am looking to purchase a HF mobile rig. I was wondering if the Icoms, either the 7000 or 706, is computer programmable? I know that the Kenwood 480 is programmable with free software form Kenwood. I think I like the Icom 7000, but I have heard bad things about the transmit audio, and the price is kinda high. I was wondering if anyone runs a Kenwood 480. The 706 is a good radio too. I know everyone has their favorites. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Dont leave out the yaesu ft 857's. I have one and love its audio and the receive is tremendous. The reciever I think is better than my Icom 746. The noise floor is just so much quieter with the yaesu. When setup correctly The Am keys 25 watts and reaches 70+ on the peaks. Thats before doing the menu mod that bumbs the radio upto 170+watts. Just given ideas

I have to agree with the Yaesu FT-857.I love mine. I bought the ADMS (Advanced Data Management Systems) software for it and it is a God's send for programming.When we go on vacation I just flash the radio with the repeaters for the area I will be travelling through and flash it again when I get back home. It's a piece of cake.

I may look at the Yaesu. I haven't seen any indication that the Icoms are programable. I have the Kenwood TMD 700 and it was so nice to type all the memory channels and such into the computer and then flash it over to the radio. Granted on a HF rig it might not be as big of a deal to put in memory channels but it is handy.

i have heard nothing but good things of the Yaesu FT-857
but have never used the Yaesu FT-857 myself

i do however have the good ole 706 MKIIG great radio
i rarly use it anymore given i now have the IC-7000

i can say for sure the IC-7000 is a great radio
i get nothing but great reports (especially regarding audio)

Hey QRN, where did you get that software? And is it specific for the radio or is it a general program!

blu i devil said:
KingCobra_CDX882 , are your Icom radios PC programmable?

check here it will probably cover any questions you may have on the ic-7000.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/message/10158

I had to send my mic out to have mods done to it to open up the frequency response a little more, that info is also here.
I was going to get the 857 but after adding all the accessories to it the price was pretty close to the ic-7000. :D

rfoverlord said:
blu i devil said:
KingCobra_CDX882 , are your Icom radios PC programmable?

check here it will probably cover any questions you may have on the ic-7000.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/message/10158

I had to send my mic out to have mods done to it to open up the frequency response a little more, that info is also here.
I was going to get the 857 but after adding all the accessories to it the price was pretty close to the ic-7000. :D

What accessories are you referring to?

Don't take this wrong! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of the radios mentioned, it's just something to think about.
'Simple' in a mobile radio is good. Not really anything wrong with complicated, but it does make for making sort of 'big' changes difficult while moving, distracting. 'Course, that depends on how 'well' you know your radio, how good your memory is (I can be sort of easily distracted at times, driving or changing things). Finding out what you really need/want takes time, so the 'newest', 'fanciest', etc, etc, isn't always your best choice.
- 'Doc

(Ahem... if you should happen to decide that 'newest', greatest, 'fanciest' thingy isn't what you want, you could always give it to me. Yes, and I know I should hold my breath.)

After having 3 of the 857D's and the 897D's I tried the OPTIONAL remote mic from Yaesu for them on each one WHICH IT NEVER WORKED PROPERLY WITH OUT RF FEEDBACK AND NO SUPPORT FROM YAESU,

I WILL NEVER BUY THE 857/897 D MODEL AGAIN!

Thats just me :D

So far I LOVE the IC-7000 which has not gave me ANY RF FEEDBACK

OH and by the way I have had the TS-480HX and I loved it, I just have a Jeep that doesnt have alot of room and I want HF/VHF-UHF so I stayed with the IC-7000.

But if you want HF only the 480 is GREAT. I used the free software from Kenwood for my 480 hooked up at home and was able to use the VOIP. I had to uninstall it from my laptop because I was talking on HF at work instead of working :p :p :p to addictive :D but great feature!

Unfortunately I found out this stuff the hard way, I owned

The FT-100D
The IC-706 MKIIG
The TS-2000
The TS-480HX x 2
The FT-857D x 3
The FT-897D x 2
The FT 817ND (which I still like but dont have patience for QRP :p )
The IC-7000

And thats just a few from the list of many many more.

Happy_Hamer said:
Unfortunately I found out this stuff the hard way, I owned

The FT-100D
The IC-706 MKIIG
The TS-2000
The TS-480HX x 2
The FT-857D x 3
The FT-897D x 2
The FT 817ND (which I still like but dont have patience for QRP :p )
The IC-7000

And thats just a few from the list of many many more.

Let's not forget about the RCI years.... :roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.