• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF Rig Purchase input needed

samplles

Feb 26, 2015
urgently need a hint.
that choose to buy! your opinion?
any of your opinion.
Icom IC-9100
Kenwood TS-590S
Yaesu FT-897D
Icom IC-7600

Those are four very different rigs at very different price points. However, if your requirement is a rig that covers HF/VHF/UHF, then I would choose the IC-9100 from that list.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I own the Kenwood TS590S. There is a new version now available., the TS590SG with some enhanced improvements. You should be able to get a closeout deal on the older version TS590S if there are any left.

Bang for the buck could be as good as it gets for the TS590. I chose this and I am very satisfied. Great receiver, great audio, has free rig control software which is a single screen layout of the radio making radio configuration and settings all too easy.

I would love to have the Icom 7600 but at the time it was out of my price range and how much more do you get over the Kenwood for $2000 more?

Nothing against the Yaesu FT897 as for the performance, It's just when I was shopping for a mobile HF rig, I thought the radio was too small mainly the display screen.

I would recommend the FTDX 12000 or even better the FTDX 3000 for a Yaesu but I didn't see that on your list.

I would agree with Moleculo on the IC-9100.

Last edited:
The Icom's are in a lot higher price tier.

To answer your question for HF + 6 meters I would definitely pick the Kenwood TS590 of the models you listed.
The price difference between the TS590 and the Icoms would let you setup a nice antenna and even consider an amp.

As Fourstringburn mentioned the FTDX3000 would be a rig that I would really look at.

Reactions: binrat
Going by your list, if you just want HF, I'd go with the Kenwood. A lot of rig for the money. If you want HF/VHF/UHF, then I'd go with the Icom. Big price jump though! Off list, I love my FTDX 3000 and would recommmend it. ;) And on edit, although it's a bit of an older rig, the Kenwood TS-2000 is a do-it-all rig that can be had for around 1500 bucks these days. I've talked to a lot of guys that run them, and they sound great with just a nice studio mic added to them.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.