• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hf9v for local 11 meter use???

dxhound

Nov 17, 2006
Hello all,
I just purchased a house in an area that has covenants against antennas. However I have a large lot (1.1 acres) with alot of pine trees in my backyard. So I know I can Hide a nice vertical back there and and lay down a real good radial field. Given I will be using a tuner, will this antenna do a decent job for local rag chews on 11 meter or should I look into hideing my maco v5/8 somewhere? The HF9V will be a ground mount. Any insight is welcome!

I've heard nothing but great things about those Maco 5/8 wave antennas, not just for 11m, but for 10m to 17m. They're supposed to have a real wide bandwith and run pretty flat across both 10 and 11 meters, and just need a little help with a tuner to get 12, 15, and 17 meters......

If all you're going to use it for is 11m, then I'd mount the Maco high enough to keep it hidden by the trees, it'll probably radiate far better at those frequencies than a multi band on the ground.
The multi band verticals usually only work as a 1/4 wave on the upper frequencies using the lowest part of the antenna. A couple of buddies and I have been working each other on 29.650 FM and 28.400 USB (10m) and the one guy with a ground mounted multi band vertical has the worst signal of us all, and I'm on a home made dipole that's at best 15 feet up.

Beside you already own the Maco, and the HF9V will cost you plenty.....

Hello all,
I just purchased a house in an area that has covenants against antennas. However I have a large lot (1.1 acres) with alot of pine trees in my backyard. So I know I can Hide a nice vertical back there and and lay down a real good radial field. Given I will be using a tuner, will this antenna do a decent job for local rag chews on 11 meter or should I look into hideing my maco v5/8 somewhere? The HF9V will be a ground mount. Any insight is welcome!

looks like it will work fine (y)
but definitely get it far off the ground as you can
if you plan on using it for hf , be aware
verticals are inherently a little more noisy on hf
than horizontal,
seems with all that lumber in your backyard
that wont be an issue ,

have at it !!!!

Paint the Maco flat black and haul it up on a tree limb in your tree stand. No one will see it and being a tuned, gain antenna for the band, it will do the better job on 11. I've done this before.

When attaching a rope to the antenna (use dacron) tie it first down at the bottom of the antenna to support the weight, then zip tie it in the middle and then again at the top. This will keep it hanging straight. Do not tie only at the top.

Good luck!

interview.gif

The HF9V will work just fine on 11m if you use a tuner (obviously). It won't be as "perfect" as having a dedicated antenna for that band, but so what?? I use a Cushcraft R6000 on 11m and just have a coax switch to switch over to a small tuner that matches it for my CB. I guess it really depends on whether you just want to deal with one antenna or two, but I think you really should give the HF9V a try before going through the trouble to install a second one.

The most obvious 'best' answer is get rid of those covenants against antennas. And since you don't really have much chance of doing that, your next 'best' bet is to hide an antenna so that it can't be readily seen by someone who shouldn't be seeing it. (Real genius type deductions, right?)
There are some prejudices I have that you should be aware of. The first is that I hate buying antennas if I can make them. Main reason is that I'm cheap, and also because I think that if a particular claim is made for an antenna then it ought to be something I can expect to see if I buy it. (That second 'reason' is one that I've very seldom ever found to be fact, unfortunately.) Keeping those prejudices in mind, I'm afraid MFJ only has one vertical antenna I would even consider buying, and they bought the company that originally made that antenna, so can't honestly call it 'their's. Don't misunderstand, I think MFJ makes some very typical/average equipment. None of it is very exceptionally 'good', especially their antennas. All any of the above is saying is that if you already have a decent CB antenna, use it. I wouldn't get any multi-band antenna strictly for use on any one band, that just doesn't make much sense. If you have a use for a multi-band antenna, get one! (I'd get a tuner while you're at it, you'll need one.)
And lastly, while I can certainly understand why you'd want/have to put one there, an antenna in the middle of a bunch of trees is never going to be the 'best' that could be had. I also figure you know that anyway. Good luck with it!
- 'Doc

I am getting the hf9v for more than 11 meters. I am a general class ham also. Im not to worry about the trees affecting much until I get above 10 meter. 6 meters and up will be affected though. I already have a nice Palstar tuner. Im putting this all together because Im just now getting back stateside after a 1yr deployment and its a new house. Just want to see what people have to say.

I am getting the hf9v for more than 11 meters. I am a general class ham also. Im not to worry about the trees affecting much until I get above 10 meter. 6 meters and up will be affected though. I already have a nice Palstar tuner. Im putting this all together because Im just now getting back stateside after a 1yr deployment and its a new house. Just want to see what people have to say.

Now that's a totally different kettle of fish dxhound, from what you said in your first post, I thought you only wanted the antenna to work 11m's only.....

Verticals do tend to be a bit noisier than wire dipoles, and beams, but if restrictions hold you to a well hidden arrangement, than it's usually the best alternative. I would explore all the alternatives in the vertical antenna market, and be leary of any that claim "no ground radials needed" since all verticals need a good ground radial system or counter poise to get their full potential out of them.....

What service are you in, and where were you deployed.....????

I would explore all the alternatives in the vertical antenna market, and be leary of any that claim "no ground radials needed" since all verticals need a good ground radial system or counter poise to get their full potential out of them.....

Also keep in mind that most of the verticals that say "no ground radials needed" are essentially vertical 1/2 wave dipoles, in which case you wouldn't need ground radials.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.