• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hidden antennas

Woody

Jul 26, 2005
I have delt with military field communications for over 9 years, some of the time I had to establish comms with hidden antennas or at least hidden in plane view. My favorite requiers a good tuner to prevent SNR or VSWR. Not trying to insult anyones intelligence, dielectric constant is the earth's ability to conduct a radio wave, right? Well measuring on a scale from 1 to 100 (one being the worst) the average for all land is 13, sea water averages 80 (big difference). Well knowing this, I took a 25' garden hose, capped one end, filled it with salt water, slid in center pin on the open end, then sealed it with wax (thanks ACE Hardware), ensuring there was no air bubbles. I used this anenna in various configurations and established 5 by 5 comms reliably. I know long story but, just wanted to pass it along.

haha...Woody...I love that story. What size wire did you stick in the end and what band was it for?

Sorry no pics, I think the hotel would be curious on why I was taking pics at a hose that looked like it was hooked to a sprinkler head in there front lawn. I used it for the HF band, as I sad playing comm guy for the military has some perks, no fcc liscense required, expensive gear that I don't pay for, and respect from fellow RTO's for trying new things. Most of my antennas I played with could be easily put up, taken down, hidden and the most important, worked! If you guys need some pretty cool field expediant antennas just ask. I know I am the "new meat" here but love talking about radios. //...O

well, welcome woody. lets hear all the tales of some of the wierd things that you have worked a signal off of. i'm really curious as to what kind of tuner you were using, SGC?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.