• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High End Audio and Power Question

De_Wildfire

Jul 27, 2009
How do these stations with these EQ's sound so good and are so far away when they run "wide"? I have a built in EQ and if I use ESSB to get that nice sound, my signal gets buried in the noise even running 1500 watts over long distances. If I turn off the ESSB and run SSB, the stations hear me real good in the distance and say I'm booming in there. I think the low end eats up all the power. What are these "wide stations" doing to get over the noise? Are these stations using monster antennas with their 1500 watt amps or are they running extremely over the legal limit?

I was playin around with the internal eq and bandwidth settings on my kenwood a few nights ago on 3835. What I found was the wider I got the less signal and presence or loud my audio was. Narrowing my band width to 2.4~2.6 showed an increse in signal "slightly" and more presence. Then adding some highs helped even more. Too many lows and too wide without the rf power or mic amps to get your line audio up gets you lost in a pileup. It does no good to xmit at 5k wide if the recieving station is only capable of 2.4khz. I have been geting beter results now that I run at 2.4 with a little added highs. My voice is naturaly low and the heil gm5 is very smooth.(y)

I also use the Heil GM-5, and the reason Heil makes mic's with that element, and also the HC-4 element, too push your audio through.
I use my GM-5 on the broadband element when conditions are good and I share a strong signal with the station I'm having a QSO with, when conditions get weak, or I'm trying to make a DX contact I switch to the HC-5 element, my audio still sounds good to the other stations yet it has the added punch to get through.
I run an old Kenwood TS-130S, a very bare bones radio, I do have a good extension speaker connected to it, however the radio is only capable of hearing a very limited range in audio, as are many others. A lot of Ham's put way too much time and effort in making themselves sound good, in the process they are killing their signal.
I've sat on 80 meters listening to guys play with their audio settings for hours trying to get FM music quality voice out of their radios on SSB, and all these guys do is sit on 80 all day rag chewing with the same group, but for whatever reason they put a lot of emphasis on their sound quality. I'm just happy as a clam if someone else actually hears me, how good I sound is secondary to that.....

My voice is a little deep on the radio, especially with the Heil GM5 and Icom 746Pro audio properties. A lot of people that hear that combo on SSB call it a bit "muddy". I think part of the ESSB issue is that the other receiver may not be able to handle that bandwidth, which means part of whatever audio charactistics were transmitted may be lost on the receiving end. At any rate, I use the EQ to bring up the treble quite a bit on my station. I always get better reports from the other stations when I do that and the recordings that have been played back sound really good to me. I'm working on a video of the W2IHY stuff that will demonstrate this...hopefully the sound will turn out OK on the web...

The human ear can only handle so much midrange information. It is equally true that too much gear out there being used will emphasize this dilemma - even more. Either deliberately done or by default. Furthermore, the amount of audio compression changes the way in which sound is perceived. You are in a 'mix' - so to speak - when in a pileup. One needs 'cut'...

So; if one can 'cut' as much midrange frequencies and still maintain clarity - and then add enough treble and compression - then a happy medium may be attained. This works in a recording studio (been there - done that...) for 'voice presence'; so it should work equally well on any audio device...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?