• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High swr when amp is on

HITEK-REDNEK

HITEK-REDNEK
Nov 21, 2010
Columbus,Oh.
OK so I've posted a few post about my little galaxy 225 through the help from all of you guys I got it taken care of but I got a new meter for Christmas checked my swr and its good channels 1-40 1.2ish and then when I kick the generator on with it on low it jumps up to over 3.1 and goes up from there the more I flip the switch so whats up with this does anyone know?:unsure:

If the swr meter is after the amp (between the amp and antenna) you may need to re-calibrate to suit the higher forward (and hence higher reflected) power.

If it is a cross-needle then the swr should be the same even though the needles will be higher.

If the swr meter is between the radio and amp (I don't know why you would do this normally) an dit changes then it is the input to the amp is not 50 ohms, i.e. a crappy input stage.

Autotuner what are you refering to recalibrate the amp or the radio,antenna what I've never heard about this when talking on this issue I've been told to get a longer patch coax from 3' to a 6' but I dont know.Booty monster I did check out the thread once went back to again it said no matches found so thank the both of you. If there is any comments or ideas they would be great.p.s I do have it between amp & antenna.

I think this is the link Booty Monster was trying to post http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/56747-high-swr-when-more-power-added.html. You are seeing the typical results of a unstable solid state RF amp. The problem is inside the amp and not the antenna or the coax jumpers. However, since the amp is unstable changing any of those things could effect the symptoms. Check the link, it explains what to look for and how to fix it.

OK so I've posted a few post about my little galaxy 225 through the help from all of you guys I got it taken care of but I got a new meter for Christmas checked my swr and its good channels 1-40 1.2ish and then when I kick the generator on with it on low it jumps up to over 3.1 and goes up from there the more I flip the switch so whats up with this does anyone know?:unsure:

What meter?

Post more details, where is the meter installed? Type or brand of meter? Did you "set" the meter with the same amount of power you tested SWR with??

Hello everyone I'm sorry I have not looked at this post since I first posted and after I read the the few post and figured that it is my low end solid state amp I've talked to a few people and they agreed so I just decided to use low power and not key for more than just a couple secondes I'm going to save a few extra bucks and buy a t/s 4pill. So to answer the last two fellows questions it is a shack meter 21-534 which is a low cost meter but reviews are really good for the cost and it is after the radio and amp between amp and antenna if that helps you guys any to solve my issue or is just like the other post implied that it's my unstable amp I will check back to your thoughts thnx.

Hello everone I thought I would repost some update info I found some all thread from fastenal after calling every local hardware store and had them order the stuff I needed all thread,coupler nut,jam nut all for $15 & some change so I cut a 6'' piece put it on the mount and checked my swr and would'nt know it channel 1-40 flat match with the amp off and with it on 1.5-1.8ish I thought that was the best sh** ever I was very pleased with the result of the 6'' piece of all thread now I have a full 1/4 wave antenna thanks to all.

Hello longhaireddwd I put a 6'' piece of all thread on my 102'' steel whip in turn makes it a 108'' steel whip and a full 1/4 wave antenna from what I've been told by the guys that takes mhz divide by length or some crazy math problem so thats it works great happy with it so far waiting on my t/s 500v to show up and check the swr then hope its less then what I have now thanks keep it between the ditches and the poopy out of your britches.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.