• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

high swr with 102" stainless steel whip

Snack Man

Sep 18, 2006
i just mounted my 102 inch stainless steel whip to the roof of my house with a mirror mount but i get a high swr on every channel plz help

You have no counterpoise.....The whip needs a metal object(roof of a vehicle) to act as a counterpoise. Try running 4 wires from the mirrior mount in opposite directions. Cut each wire 102" long and run them from the mirror mount in a north,south,east,west direction

like this :LOL: lol :oops: i did it too

102inwhipfg1.jpg

Yeah but making your own is more fun and a great learning expience!

Frmboybuck is right about the counterpiose/groundplane

Just for giggles I took an old Cobra made mobile magnet mount antenna and stuck it upside down under my carport had a match of 1.8 to 2 I took it down and put it on top of the roof match thru the end of meter made sence as the upside down way was closer to earth and it acted as the counterpiose whereas on the topside it was higher and lost the groundplane effect!

you keep playing experimenting and learning! If it were not for people experimenting and testing different ideas we would still me living by candle light!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.