• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homebrew Co-phased Ground Plane Antennas

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
My kinda guy! :giggle:

I have made this exact ground plane using a 102" steel whip and two 4' Firestiks for radials and have made one using a 4' Firestik for the vertical in lieu of the steel whip. Both versions worked great. Just never had the desire to co-phase them like this fella. And never will. :p

Enjoy!

My kinda guy! :giggle:

I have made this exact ground plane using a 102" steel whip and two 4' Firestiks for radials and have made one using a 4' Firestik for the vertical in lieu of the steel whip. Both versions worked great. Just never had the desire to co-phase them like this fella. And never will. :p

Enjoy!

How great exactly? I'm willing to homebrew something like that. With a regular loss of antennas due to winds in this area, maybe a build like this could be more robust.

How great exactly? I'm willing to homebrew something like that. With a regular loss of antennas due to winds in this area, maybe a build like this could be more robust.

These antennas are bulletproof and aren’t going anywhere except perhaps in a tornado. And both love going head to toe with the A99. :p

The steel whip with the Firestik radials seemed to hear slightly better than the one using a Firestik for the vertical.

I have two 102" and two 7' Firestiks in stock. Might play around a little.........

(y):giggle:

Here's the mount I made for my GP's. It's a Simpson Strong Tie from Home Depot with several bends in it. Had to drill one additional 1/2" hole if I remember right.

GP Mount.jpg

Here's another version made from a Simpson BC ZMax 4” Post Cap.

IMG_0611.jpgIMG_0613.jpg

Last edited:
We could hold a contest for the weirdest-looking, best-performing homebrew antenna. and give the winner the first annual HomerBB Award. Then it occurred to me--Homer would probably win. After all he is the G.O.A.T. :giggle:
I don't know...
My chicken wire 11m 1/4 GP seemed to be the uncontested winner in one of these build offs until the other fellow screwed together his 1/4 GP from beer cans. It seems the popularity of beer over chickens took the win away from me.
It felt like a crappy sudden death NFL overtime loss.
Oh, well...

I don't know...
My chicken wire 11m 1/4 GP seemed to be the uncontested winner in one of these build offs until the other fellow screwed together his 1/4 GP from beer cans. It seems the popularity of beer over chickens took the win away from me.
It felt like a crappy sudden death NFL overtime loss.
Oh, well...
I remember that..

Jeff

Attachments

• 3710-1.jpg
    3710-1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 3709.jpg
    3709.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 32
  • feedpoint2a.jpg
    feedpoint2a.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 34
  • cans.jpg
    cans.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 34
  • verticalshot.jpg
    verticalshot.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 34

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.