• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How about a "DX-DAY" for forum members

When NY is coming into the SE Texas area I'll hear a couple guys on 383... If it's the same guys, I've listened to them for years on 305 (ssb)
same 2 morons from 27.305 LSB.
193 renegade radio Mount Morris, NY
And
Beaver Stretcher Rush, NY commonly known as Watts Electronics on Ebay.

They do it to block us here in Rochester, NY.
Couple of children.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
BETWEEN LSB 16 and USB 40

Many of you know that I've pushed for us to use LSB 16. There are two main motivators. First, LSB 38 is just too crowded. Second, I wanted to include the guys with 23 channels units. It looks like we all agree on the first point.

Using both is an option, but it also splits the number of potential available contacts in two. Of course, USB 40 isn't on the table for you at all if you're running a 23.

The idea of unifying the WWDX SSB crowd away from LSB 38 makes a lot of sense. Maybe I'm naive, but I think the folks who take the time to participate on WWDX also make the effort to be better operators. That means a better radio experience for the folks on both ends of the QSO and all others who happen to be listening.

I think we are more inclusive if we push LSB 16, but I'm fine going with whatever a majority vote decides.

Last edited:
BETWEEN LSB 16 and USB 40

Many of you know that I've pushed for us to use LSB 16. There are two main motivators. First, LSB 38 is just too crowded. Second, I wanted to include the guys with 23 channels units. It looks like we all agree on the first point.

Using both is an option, but it also splits the number of potential available contacts in two. Of course, USB 40 isn't on the table for you at all if you're running a 23.

The idea of unifying the WWDX SSB crowd away from LSB 38 makes a lot of sense. Maybe I'm naive, but I think the folks who take the time to participate on WWDX also make the effort to be better operators. That means a better radio experience for the folks on both ends of the QSO and all others who happen to be listening.

I think we are more inclusive if we push LSB 16, but I'm fine going with whatever a majority vote decides.
I have to say that I agree with the above statement and that since we as a group started out on 16 LSB and that it allows all the WWDX operators to be able to participate whether you have a 40 or a 23 channel SSB radio,I think it's best that we stick with 16 LSB going forward instead of channel hopping so to speak,jmo..............On a side note, I always look forward to trying to make contacts with my WWDX Radio Friends every weekend and this forum!!!

73's

I understand the reasoning behind the use of 16LSB, but there are also valid reasons why it is not the ideal place for SSB DX communications, especially when the conditions are good.
So i'll play devil's advocate here and list out the reasons why i think 40USB is a better spot for us.

First, if we are going to decide this democratically, then majority rules, and very few people operate 23 channel radios. Even fewer are the people who don't also own a 40 channel SSB radio.

I feel that trying to accommodate the few, while a nice gesture, isn't fair to the majority who will be trying to switch back and forth between the two channels.

second, the bleedover from other popular channels in that area of the band is terrible.
Some of the channel 11 people are running radios so dirty they can be heard on 16AM. Not to mention that channel 17 crowd.

last, and this is the biggest one to me, there is a frequency within the CB band that is used all across the country for some purpose and it is just digital noise to us.
when conditions are good this noise signal can be heard coming from quite a few different places. (i think its used for trains? but im not sure on that).
this frequency is 27.158mhz. Channel 16 is 17.155mhz.

you can get on an SDR and choose a random place in the US to listen from and your chances of hearing a noise signal on 27.158 are pretty good.

all that said, i'll be happy to call CQ on whatever channel everyone else is on, i just think i'll have much more success on 40USB.
LC

After reading the past few responses, it looks to me like we're trying to accomplish two objectives.
1. Meeting on a frequency that allows members to communicate without all of the craziness of 38LSB.
2. Being inclusive.

I couldn't agree more with both.
16 LSB definitely comes with it's unique benefits and issues. It's good for those of us who want to use a 23 chanel radio. The known downside is bleed over. It seems to be troublesome, and the noise level in general, as @loosecannon was explaining is high. This adds to the difficulty of making contacts even when conditions are good.

40 USB for me is an unknown, simply because I haven't used it. I have heard a few of our members having a qso and I've noticed that it's generally quiet whenever I tune in, regardless of time of day. This to me, is a very desirable option but if we're not being inclusive, it may not be so great. ?

I like @ForestRunner98 idea of a poll. Let's see if we would be leaving anyone out, here on wwdx.

Last edited:
This weekend I'll be working on the house in the mornings, before the extreme heat and around 1:00pm central time, I'll have two radios on. One will be on 16lsb and the other I'll be moving between 40usb and the upper lsb frequencies. I hope to hear you fellas out there this weekend!
Ill try to give you a shout on Sun after Church and Lunch, hopefully the DX conditions will cooperate, have a great weekend!!

73's

Reactions: Brother DXer
There is activity on LSB 38 this afternoon, but it isn't the dreaded pile-up. There is some background activity on both LSB 16 and USB 40. However, I haven't heard any stations looking to make DX contacts. I'll try again now at 4:00P.M. eastern, but the Miami vs. Texas A & M game will get my undivided attention after that.

Good idea on going to USB, not many on 27mhz run there. I can try to get on the radio occasionally throughout the weekend. Post some times and I'll make a point to be out with it turned all the way up. WDX134
I've always wondered why everyone crowds onto LSB, especially 38, but other channels as well. It seems like USB is always vacant. Why is that, anyway. Seems like a waste of good air space!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.