• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base How about an antenna switch in reverse?

Is it okay to run an antenna switch box in reverse so that I can run two radios with one antenna?​

I'm not going to give a definite yes on this, but it seems a few years ago I read a post on another forum where someone was doing exactly that. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and give a more definite answer.

Reactions: Greg T
As long as you're not trying to use both radios at the same time (putting that for the inevitable argument from someone) it will do excellent. Either Radio Garage, BBI or 3 Made has that setup, can't remember which.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Well, my primary rig is a Yaesu FT-990 that runs through a Texas star, then a meter, then a LP filter to the antenna. I recently ordered a Stryker 955 to play with a bit, and I really don't want to keep bouncing the coax back and forth. So I thought I'd place the switch before the Texas Star, and use the switch outputs as radio inputs. Then run the switch input to the Texas Star. I was thinking I could just bounce between the two radios with the switch, leaving all else intact.

Well, my primary rig is a Yaesu FT-990 that runs through a Texas star, then a meter, then a LP filter to the antenna. I recently ordered a Stryker 955 to play with a bit, and I really don't want to keep bouncing the coax back and forth. So I thought I'd place the switch before the Texas Star, and use the switch outputs as radio inputs. Then run the switch input to the Texas Star. I was thinking I could just bounce between the two radios with the switch, leaving all else intact.
That's exactly what you can do. The switch doesn't have any components inside other than a couple of contacts, no resistors or inductors, it's just a selectable passthrough.

That's exactly what you can do. The switch doesn't have any components inside other than a couple of contacts, no resistors or inductors, it's just a selectable passthrough.

Thanx, much! I have an old 4 position that says Horizontal, Vertical, both, Aux. Should be okay. Now If I can wire up an adapter so that my M-1 Reference mic will work on the Stryker, I'm golden!

Reactions: 144inBama
The main premise for my suggestion?

Don't run BIG power thru a coax switch - best to leave the amp on the side to the antenna.

The Isolation on the two terminals between the two "ANT" terminals now being used a "RADIO" or "TX" side - the power capacity is not changed - but the ISOLATION is different.

But if you have it set up like this...
1642947234573.png

The problem lies in the way the switch - moves its contacts.

Shield to shield is common, but when a contact opens - it can act as an antenna - so it should be considered when you push a LOT of power back thru the switch.

The Radio on the active would have full CENTER contact to the one out,
But what does the contact at the unused side - what does it exhibit?

Might want to check that out before you get too far.

You certainly can use an antenna switch to switch radios instead. As for the RF there is no difference in how it works. The big consideration is the quality of the switch. Some are just cheap slide switches and have next to nothing for isolation. That allows lots of RF to leak into the unused position and back into the other radio which should always be OFF when not being used. Good quality switches like the CS-201 from Diawa or the MFJ knock-offs or the Alpha-Delta line are excellent and offer a lot of isolation, but you still need to have the unused radio turned off in order to better protect the frontend. Some better quality switches actually ground the unused port making them even better.

You certainly can use an antenna switch to switch radios instead. As for the RF there is no difference in how it works. The big consideration is the quality of the switch. Some are just cheap slide switches and have next to nothing for isolation. That allows lots of RF to leak into the unused position and back into the other radio which should always be OFF when not being used. Good quality switches like the CS-201 from Diawa or the MFJ knock-offs or the Alpha-Delta line are excellent and offer a lot of isolation, but you still need to have the unused radio turned off in order to better protect the frontend. Some better quality switches actually ground the unused port making them even better.

I can vouch for the CS-201 as I’ve run them for years, pumping 1500 watts through them with no issues. The same for the Alpha-Delta, Daiwa and the CX310 by Diamond. As CK has said ”but you still need to have the unused radio turned off in order to better protect the frontend.” My choice of switches usually boiled down to location of the PL259 ports inaddition to good isolation.
3A1876E6-44B8-4988-AC71-2DC73A7C8711.jpeg

The main premise for my suggestion?

Don't run BIG power thru a coax switch - best to leave the amp on the side to the antenna.

The Isolation on the two terminals between the two "ANT" terminals now being used a "RADIO" or "TX" side - the power capacity is not changed - but the ISOLATION is different.

But if you have it set up like this...

The problem lies in the way the switch - moves its contacts.

Shield to shield is common, but when a contact opens - it can act as an antenna - so it should be considered when you push a LOT of power back thru the switch.

The Radio on the active would have full CENTER contact to the one out,
But what does the contact at the unused side - what does it exhibit?

Might want to check that out before you get too far.
Yes, exactly. The switch between the radios and the amp. that was the plan.

I have no idea what is in this switch. It's one of those old (30 years) large black boxes (paradynamics, or something?) that I used to use between my antenna and dummy load. I'm going to pop the box apart and see what is in there. the switch itself is quite robust. Heavy, tight action. I might add that this is not going to be a long time endeavor. I just want to play with the Stryker a bit and see how well I like it. I MAY decide to sell the Yaesu if the little Stryker suits my needs.

1642953719116.png

I've been using my Delta-4 for several years with no issues, 1 antenna switched between 4 radios. Never had an issue, plus you get some protection and each port is grounded when not in use. A little pricey, but probably one of the best out there.

Last edited:
This is what I have. A cheapy.

Attachments

• 20220123_104717.jpg
    20220123_104717.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220123_104639.jpg
    20220123_104639.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220123_104610.jpg
    20220123_104610.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?