• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do you hook up a....

It's doable but you'll need to make some cables. I believe his has actual mike inputs, but for the big three ham rigs if I'm not mistaken. If it has a 1/4 input you can simply hook the audio from the mic to center pin and ground to ring. Then have a simple foot switch for the ptt circuit. Or just get some 8pin mic connectors and build some patch cables and do the same per his wiring diagram. I'm on my phone, to much to type. To use the ptt on the mic, just wire it to an 8 pin mic connector that matches the eq input. I believe his has a selector switch for Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu.

It's doable but you'll need to make some cables. I believe his has actual mike inputs, but for the big three ham rigs if I'm not mistaken. If it has a 1/4 input you can simply hook the audio from the mic to center pin and ground to ring. Then have a simple foot switch for the ptt circuit. Or just get some 8pin mic connectors and build some patch cables and do the same per his wiring diagram. I'm on my phone, to much to type. To use the ptt on the mic, just wire it to an 8 pin mic connector that matches the eq input. I believe his has a selector switch for Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu.

Thanks for the reply and the info.....I was on the W2IHY web site and it seems they will make custom cables. :)

Their cables are good quality Heil stuff. He will tag it for which rig you order for. If I remember right, the Yaesu 4 pin is the same as the Galaxy/Uniden 4 pin setup.

RT307

Their cables are good quality Heil stuff. He will tag it for which rig you order for. If I remember right, the Yaesu 4 pin is the same as the Galaxy/Uniden 4 pin setup.

RT307

Awesome...thanks a bunch.(y)

The iBox is the interface between the mixer or other rack equipment that transforms line level audio to mic level audio. I imagine the w2ihy mic eq has one built into it. The kit version of the iBox is $59.00.

I had my own eq and other rack equipment at the time so I only needed the iBox.

http://www.w2ihy.com/ibox.asp

Last edited:
The iBox is the interface between the mixer or other rack equipment that transforms line level audio to mic level audio. I imagine the w2ihy mic eq has one built into it. The kit version of the iBox is $59.00.

I had my own eq and other rack equipment at the time so I only needed the iBox.

Why won't a studio mic work with a CB....is it got to do with impedence?
Also they do not have a key up....so do they have to run on only a ham radio with vox?

Last edited:
I believe you need a single pole double throw switch to switch tx/rx and connect the mic to audio/common on a normal cobra/uniden type radio.

Last edited:
yeah the impedance wouldn't match, to low. It would work somewhat, but would be so
low on audio and probably a little distorted. The audio circuits in a cb wouldn't do it. Most HF rigs wouldn't as well as the gain isn't designed to boost a low z mic. That's the reason for the preamps and eq's as noted in other posts.
The new Heil HM12 would probably match close enough, but you would need to wire your own mic connector. It's a 4 connector out of the mic as it has a ptt button on it. It should be easy, audio wire, ground ptt and shield.

Why won't a studio mic work with a CB....is it got to do with impedence?
Also they do not have a key up....so do they have to run on only a ham radio with vox?

You can I guess but not usually a direct hookup. Large condenser mics also require 48v phantom power. There is an impedence mismatch as well which I think someone already mentioned.

The iBox has an rca phono plug built into it that's used to key the transmitter. I've used the heil footswitch and now have a medical style hand switch to key the radio. Very easy to wire from the 5 pin din on the iBox to a mic connector.

Here's a picture of the whole deal. The MXL 990 is hanging from a Heil boom. I have a second boom with a Heil GM4 attached to the Kenwood TS-140S. You could use a GM4 or similar Heil mic on your Galaxy without having to use an interface. You just need to wire the mic connector with an outboard keying switch like the one attached to the iBox PTT circuit. Very easily done.

Attachments

• Hi-Fi.jpg
    Hi-Fi.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 32
I believe you need a single pole double throw switch to switch tx/rx and connect the mic to audio/common on a normal cobra/uniden type radio.

Yep....I have wondered if you could take the head off a d104 and plug a studio mic into it and see if it would work? :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.