• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do you hook up a....

yeah the impedance wouldn't match, to low. It would work somewhat, but would be so
low on audio and probably a little distorted. The audio circuits in a cb wouldn't do it. Most HF rigs wouldn't as well as the gain isn't designed to boost a low z mic. That's the reason for the preamps and eq's as noted in other posts.
The new Heil HM12 would probably match close enough, but you would need to wire your own mic connector. It's a 4 connector out of the mic as it has a ptt button on it. It should be easy, audio wire, ground ptt and shield.

Hmmm very interesting. :)

You can I guess but not usually a direct hookup. Large condenser mics also require 48v phantom power. There is an impedence mismatch as well which I think someone already mentioned.

The iBox has an rca phono plug built into it that's used to key the transmitter. I've used the heil footswitch and now have a medical style hand switch to key the radio. Very easy to wire from the 5 pin din on the iBox to a mic connector.

Here's a picture of the whole deal. The MXL 990 is hanging from a Heil boom. I have a second boom with a Heil GM4 attached to the Kenwood TS-140S. You could use a GM4 or similar Heil mic on your Galaxy without having to use an interface. You just need to wire the mic connector with an outboard keying switch like the one attached to the iBox PTT circuit. Very easily done.

That is a great set up.....is that board powered...will it really make the mics come to life...lots of base?
I like the set up.
Btw...I am in south central MI. :)

The 8 band W2IHY has an RCA jack for the PTT. Just use a studio mic with an XLR into the XLR of the EQ. A SPST with and RCA for PTT. And a 5 pin DIN out to a 4 pin, 5 pin or whatever to the radio.

The EQ will do 200 and 600 ohm, but the D104 is Hi-Z and I don't think it'll do it. I'd use the SM58 or something similar.

That is a great set up.....is that board powered...will it really make the mics come to life...lots of base?
I like the set up.
Btw...I am in south central MI. :)

Most CB radios and Export radios can only transmit with a frequency response between ~200Hz to 2800Hz. So that is fairly limited. You aren't going to get much bass response; but you can improve what the radio's transmit audio can do by the choice of equipment.

It sounds like you are still leaning about great audio, so here is part 1 of a 5-part article that should pretty much explain it all:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/installa...itizens-band-radio-export-radio-part-1-a.html

Most CB radios and Export radios can only transmit with a frequency response between ~200Hz to 2800Hz. So that is fairly limited. You aren't going to get much bass response; but you can improve what the radio's transmit audio can do by the choice of equipment.

It sounds like you are still leaning about great audio, so here is part 1 of a 5-part article that should pretty much explain it all:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/installa...itizens-band-radio-export-radio-part-1-a.html

Robb is correct. You are not going to get even low-fi out of a CB radio regardless of the mic and rack geardue to the narrow bandwidth but, you can tailor the audio to your voice and get a nice flat response over the usable audio bandwidth or your radio. I just did that to play around. Usually have a D-104 attached to the 148.

I had a great set up with an Icom 756 Pro II set to a 3 Khz transmit bandwidth and using the MXL 990 mic with an eq and noise gate. I always got comments on how good my audio sounded. I got the same comments on my Yaesu FT-950 and a Heil Proline headset with the #6 element. Go figure.

The Behringer mixer is powered and powers the studio mic with +48v phantom power.

Well, he should be able to get mid-fi out of it. But like you said, so long as he pays attention to using a decent mic with a flat frequency response and hooking it all up correctly. It should sound much better than any D104 or Turner+3 could ever hope to sound.

The 8 band W2IHY has an RCA jack for the PTT. Just use a studio mic with an XLR into the XLR of the EQ. A SPST with and RCA for PTT. And a 5 pin DIN out to a 4 pin, 5 pin or whatever to the radio.

The EQ will do 200 and 600 ohm, but the D104 is Hi-Z and I don't think it'll do it. I'd use the SM58 or something similar.

Yeah....some guy on ebay has a bunch of used sm58 mics for sale....$50-$60 what is a fair price for a used one?

Yep...thanks for the info. :)

Thanks...I bookmarked that page. :)

Robb is correct. You are not going to get even low-fi out of a CB radio regardless of the mic and rack geardue to the narrow bandwidth but, you can tailor the audio to your voice and get a nice flat response over the usable audio bandwidth or your radio. I just did that to play around. Usually have a D-104 attached to the 148.

I had a great set up with an Icom 756 Pro II set to a 3 Khz transmit bandwidth and using the MXL 990 mic with an eq and noise gate. I always got comments on how good my audio sounded. I got the same comments on my Yaesu FT-950 and a Heil Proline headset with the #6 element. Go figure.

The Behringer mixer is powered and powers the studio mic with +48v phantom power.

So you are not happy with the sound you are getting?

yeah the impedance wouldn't match, to low. It would work somewhat, but would be so
low on audio and probably a little distorted. The audio circuits in a cb wouldn't do it. Most HF rigs wouldn't as well as the gain isn't designed to boost a low z mic. That's the reason for the preamps and eq's as noted in other posts.
The new Heil HM12 would probably match close enough, but you would need to wire your own mic connector. It's a 4 connector out of the mic as it has a ptt button on it. It should be easy, audio wire, ground ptt and shield.

How do these new heil HM-12s sound?
I notice that the Heil HM-12 has a PTT right on the mic....couldn't you plug it straight into my Galaxy?

How do these new heil HM-12s sound?
I notice that the Heil HM-12 has a PTT right on the mic....couldn't you plug it straight into my Galaxy?

Honestly I haven't had a chance to try one. I was going to, but R&L were out. It gets good reviews. Yes it has a ptt. You could get the heil cable to the four pin Kenwood etc, and the just move the wires where they need to be. That would be the cheapest of the heil selections I believe to play with. Some have used the little handi mic, I've not used, as I believe they have the ptt on them as well. Oh and yes they should be just fine to go straight to radio.

Honestly I haven't had a chance to try one. I was going to, but R&L were out. It gets good reviews. Yes it has a ptt. You could get the heil cable to the four pin Kenwood etc, and the just move the wires where they need to be. That would be the cheapest of the heil selections I believe to play with. Some have used the little handi mic, I've not used, as I believe they have the ptt on them as well. Oh and yes they should be just fine to go straight to radio.

Yep....it sez that they are made to work with most all radios.....I just ordered this cable...."HEIL SOUND GM ICM KM MIC MICROPHONE ADAPTER CABLE 4PIN XLR 4 PIN YAESU CC-1-Y" :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.